Thread: Linux-modem problem

Linux-modem problem

Ok here goes. This is probably a beginner question but need some help. I installed Linux and managed to configure everything without too much trouble but, hmm there is always a but, yesterday i could not connect using modem. Well it did work and then it just stopped. When i go trough the setup and run query modem commands the modem responds fine but when I try to connect the thing just hangs on initializing modem. Now if I use gnome pppd to dial everything goes fine until when the connection is supposed to be established. Then i get an error "pppd daemon died unexpectedly". Any help would be appreciated.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

I've been seeing a lot of posts about winmodems and linux and such. Perhaps you might want to check out http://www.linmodems.org/ to see if there is an answer there.

Also, try doing a search on www.google.com with the keywords of "yourlinuxdistro" "modem type" and the words "not working" or the exact error code.

Hope that helps.

No its not a winmodem. I used it on a Linux box for a long time its just that all of a sudden i keep getting errors .....Not too sure whats going on.

Review logs

If you check /var/log/messages there should be more detail as to why the connection is disconnecting. It could be due to the way your ISP requires it's authentication. It may be as simple as sending a terminate signal at the end of the handshake.
    Regards,
    ph0rse

Originally posted by MsMittens
    I've been seeing a lot of posts about winmodems and linux and such.

If it was a winmodem (such as those piece of crap Conexant modems) you wouldn't get a response when you query it. This is one of the great Linux mysterys. The same as trying to get the screen resolution perfect.

What I would suggest is logging in under the KDE GUI and using the RHPP dialer. Also, check out www.linuxnewbie.org

And Im sure as soon as Obi reads this thread you'll have an answer in no time. I've posted a couple of newbie linux threads myself and he's been a great help.

Anyway, stick with it. Once you work out these little bugs you'll find Linux to be the best OS you've ever used!

Wink

I had the same issue, running Mandrake 8... for some reason pap/chap authentication did not work for me, i had to script the login.

If you use gnome ppp -

recieve: ogin:

send: {your login}

recieve: word:

send: {your password}

These settings can be found under 'account', then 'script' tab.

That works for me, but it will depend on how your isp authenticates.

I'm using UUNet... err... Worldcom.

Hope this helps,
    goose

Well thanks for the help. But there is sitill a problem/ Scripting worked i can connet using gnome. I can see that modem is connected but if i open netscape then it syas that there is no connection established. If i try pingin the outside address i get a message host unreachable. I looked into /var/log/mesages and it always says connection established and then it says connection terminated with signal 15. But i still see the led on the modem that indicate its connected. Modem is fine cause when i boot into winows it works. Anyone help pls...

Are the permisions on dev/ttyS ok? maybe chmod 666 /dev/ttyS would help. How about using minicom to query the modem.

Cool

If it was a winmodem (such as those piece of crap Conexant modems) you wouldn't get a response when you query it.
    This explains my problems right now. The only other modem I have right now is a 56K modem blaster ISA unit that was in my moms old w95 75mhz pentium before it gave up the ghost. Its a winmodem too. Oh well Ill hold out for that expensive external model that I want.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19