Having read what a lot of people think about XP, I felt I had to add my own opinion:

If you're not very good at finding your way round computers, XP is great. However, its interface is a bit basic for more advanced users.

I use XP Pro (a copy without product activation, so I haven't experienced the trauma of Product Activation) on one computer at home. I have Windows 2000 Pro on another computer, Windows NT4 Server on another computer, Windows 98 SE on a faster computer for gaming purposes and a Linux Mandrake 7 server for the whole network thingy and dealing with network web sites etc. (Apache is the best web server I've ever seen, and the Linux version is more stable than the Windows version, Plus linux is more useful generally anyway.)

Anyway, the point is, XP makes a nice addition to the network, it gives me a computer I can use the internet, do word processing, graphics, CD burning etc. in no problem - without the advanced OS stuff being obvious. The rest of the computers are there still for serious use, so XP just provides a "main" computer for general use... and does it rather well.

Therefore, if you have only 1 PC, don't put XP on it unless you don't want to have any control... If you have more than one, by all means try XP out... It's got a nice interface really for "normal" use... but anything advanced or demanding of the system won;t work well in it!

Just my [perhaps too long?] opinion.

What i'm saying... is that XP is OK, its the most stable Windows I've ever seen, but its too basic for any serious users, unless you also have win NT/2000 on your network [Or linux... Linux is good. I Like Linux... Hey, Linux is kool!]

==Andrew=-