View Poll Results: Should newbie avatars be categorized?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should.

8 53.33%
  • No, they should not.

0 0%
  • I don't care.

6 40.00%
  • Shut up or I'll give you anti-points for being an ambitious little twerp!

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS-/-Compatibility-/-Stability-/- Security

Question OS-/-Compatibility-/-Stability-/- Security

+ =

I just wonted to know which OS's have better security and work better with games and other apps.......

(#1.) Linux Mandrake -V.S.- Linux Redhat

\/AND/\

(#2.) Win98se -V.S.- WinME -V.S.- Win2000Pro

Just want to know which is the best Windows and which is the best Linux or at least what you think is...

\/ALSO/\

(#3.) Have you guys heard about Lindows. The Guy that use to own MP3.com is now making a version of Linux that can run windows programs... I know you can do that now with Emulators but I don't think he is just going to give emus with it. I think its a all new engine/OS?

You're new to the field of computers, aren't you? This should clear some things up for you.

Windows is definitely the best OS to use for playing games and running other aps, just because nobody makes them for Linux, since Linux isn't mainstream. It's also by far the best choice for beginners. For stability and security, Windows NT and 2000 are good, but will never measure up to our wonderful friend Linux. Windows 9x and ME are about as secure as an open bank vault in downtown Detroit at midnight.

There are more versions of Linux than Red Hat and Mandrake. There are also SuSE and Slackware, but they aren't as popular as Red Hat and Mandrake. I believe they also make an OS for the MAC called Yellow Dog, but that's another topic. I'm pretty sure Red Hat is the most secure of the Linux OSs, but I have heard SuSE is pretty secure too (I don't have much experience in Linux). Mandrake is the easiest to use in my opinion, because it has more of a Windows feel than Red Hat. I couldn't tell you about SuSE or Slackware. Linux also seems to be the OS of choice for web servers.

I can't tell you anything about this Lindows OS that is supposedly coming out. I would be careful with it though. You never know how good or bad it may be, especially since it's supposed to be compatible with Windows aps.

Banned
    Ok, here's my opinion.

Gamer's will enjoy Windows ME.
    The best Windows I suppose in a lot of people's opinion is 2000 pro and XP has recieved mixed reaction but the general jist is it is an admin's nitemare [not much control you see].

Linux RedHat is what I currently have partitioned with my Windows box now. It's fairly easy to get accustomed to.

I ve heard some news on Lindows but not enough to make a real comment.

Games, media, compatability with anything= windoze

programming, understanding how an OS/computer works, inexpensive= linux

i recommend partitioning your hard drive into two parts, one for linux the other for a windows OS, i personally prefer linux but i cant stand not having games ect. to play.
    \"I am convinced that societies which live without government enjoy an infinitely greater degree of happiness than those who do.\" Thomas Jefferson

Talking

"I'm pretty sure Red Hat is the most secure of the Linux OSs, but I have heard SuSE is pretty secure too (I don't have much experience in Linux). "

Actually Redhat is one of the more less secure on a standard install.Slackware by far is more secure on the standard install. But of course you can lock down a Redhat box fairly easy. Over all i would say that running your games on linux is far more reliable than any winblows system can offer. If you go to www.lokigames.com you can buy a lot of linux games. Or you can go to www.linuxvoodoo.com or just do a search on google.

In my personal opinoin (for what thats worth) I would recomend that you don't Dual boot your system. That can lead to problems down the road. there are of cource the security issues involved also but over all i would take a linux box over winblows any ole day

Well, just to be strange for the sake of it...

I voted for Unix in the poll because I don't feel strongly enough to vote 'other' and be vague...I certainly wouldn't recommend using any version of Windows for most things, though it's true to say that if you're mainly using the machine for games, Windows will probably not disappoint you. It's incorrect, though, to say that nobody writes games for Linux; Doom and the Quake series spring immediately to mind. Also, using WINE, you can run a lot of games on Linux (check the wine homepage at http://www.winehq.com/ for lists; I seem to remember Half Life was one of the highlights) and a fair few Windows apps, including Office 2k of all things.

If you're mainly in it for the games, though, why not just buy a console? I've heard nice things about the new Nintento console, and the Playstation 2 looks very nice. I'm not a gamer myself and have little direct experience of the recent games machines, but as far as I can see they're going to be more reliable and a lot cheaper than a PC. Of course, you could argue that you'd also like to do a bit of Word Processing or software development, it's just that you like games too - in which case, get a Linux PC and a games machine and your problem is solved reasonably cheaply (bear in mind you can respectably run Linux - in fact, very comfortably run Linux - on a small MMX Pentium (say, a 233) with 64 Megs of RAM and about 4Gb of disk, which is going to easily make up in savings for the extra your Playstation 2 (or whatever) is going to cost you.

- Freon
    NightKingdoms Progressive
    http://www.nightkingdoms.net/
    \"Circumventing the limitations of technology\"

Originally posted by stflook
    Windows 9x and ME are about as secure as an open bank vault in downtown Detroit at midnight.
    Funny, I'm using Windows 98, and I'm not exactly a less-than-annoying or very silent character... How come my system hasn't been hacked into yet?

I feel so left out. bawling Of all the other Windows 9x machines.... <sniff> I have to be left out. Why me? <sniff> Bleh. Must... not... do... Windows 98-isn't-that-bad spiel...
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted by Ennis
    Ok, here's my opinion.

Gamer's will enjoy Windows ME.
    The best Windows I suppose in a lot of people's opinion is 2000 pro and XP has recieved mixed reaction but the general jist is it is an admin's nitemare [not much control you see].

Linux RedHat is what I currently have partitioned with my Windows box now. It's fairly easy to get accustomed to.

I ve heard some news on Lindows but not enough to make a real comment.

i agree with ennis....but what i personally think is win98 is good...

intruder..

Banned
    98 is pretty damn good too I will admit!

Originally posted by Terr

Funny, I'm using Windows 98, and I'm not exactly a less-than-annoying or very silent character... How come my system hasn't been hacked into yet?

I feel so left out. bawling Of all the other Windows 9x machines.... <sniff> I have to be left out. Why me? <sniff> Bleh. Must... not... do... Windows 98-isn't-that-bad spiel...
    Just because you haven't been hacked doesn't mean you can't be.
    I disagree when you say that Windows 98 isn't that bad. I absolutely hate it. My brother used to have Windows 98. It never did anything right. He would scream and cuss for hours on end trying to get things to run right. One day I got pissed, formatted his hard drive, and rebuilt it from the ground up with Windows 2000, and POOF!, problem gone! I don't know many people who have run Windows 98 without problems.