Thread: How do I make a listening port go deaf on win98?

How do I make a listening port go deaf on win98?

Hello...is there a manual way of choosing which ports I want listening under win98...I know how to do it under linux but not windows...i have looked everyhere I can think in the Os for it but am sort of blind to where it might be...i am hoping that I would not need a proggy to do it with(a froggy to do it with? ewww )...am I crap out of luck or what...is it registry somewhere?...is it a command under ipconfig or netstat or what...please please help me...i am floundering around like a fish on shore....thanks in advance to all who contribute their time to answer this silly question....

Re: How do I make a listening port go deaf on win98?

Originally posted by tripstone
    Hello...is there a manual way of choosing which ports I want listening under win98...I know how to do it under linux but not windows...i have looked everyhere I can think in the Os for it but am sort of blind to where it might be...i am hoping that I would not need a proggy to do it with(a froggy to do it with? ewww )...am I crap out of luck or what...is it registry somewhere?...is it a command under ipconfig or netstat or what...please please help me...i am floundering around like a fish on shore....thanks in advance to all who contribute their time to answer this silly question....
    Uhm... Are you talking about using a firewall to block the ports, or are you trying to open them up?

If you want a firewall, you'll have to download it. (I.E.: Preventing ports from being used)

If you want to open a port... you need a program to do it. It's just like in *nix, except different socket libraries and in *nix some of the programs ('services') come with the OS.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency