Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your first computer and what did do you regret doing to it?

Pentium 66 Mhz
    8 MB Ram
    1 MB Video
    420 MB HD
    14.4 KBps Modem
    14" Monitor
    2x CD Rom Drive

The biggest mistake I made with it was when I pulled out the processor to look at it, and when I put it back in, I broke the little lever I tried just putting the chip in and sliding it to the side myself, but I had to get a whole new mobo..
    Regards,
    ph0rse

The first computer I used was my dad's 386, running Windows 3.1. All I ever did on it was play JetFighter2 and write cheesy little stories in word.
    Why am I still here?

My first pc

My first PC was the original, IBM PC (the first they ever produced). Not sure what speed the processor was, but it was an Intel.

For $3005 this is what we got:
    [list=1][*]64,000 bytes of memory[*]Single diskette drive - 5.25 inch with a whopping 160 kilobytes per disk!!![*]Monocrhome display - 25 lines of 80 characters on a 11.5 inch display[*]Dot-matrix printer - 80 characters/sec!!![*]6lb keyboard (damn was that heavy)[*]Microsoft's Disk Operating System (yeah DOS)[/list=1]

It was a beauty. Programmed my first BBS in Basic using GOTO's galore. Ah, back in the day...

IBM Press Release
    IBM PC Fact Sheet

386 running Win 3.1

all i did was play games and use the word pocessor for homework, i wasn't interested about computers back then, so i wasn't playing around with things that were breakable
    \"I am convinced that societies which live without government enjoy an infinitely greater degree of happiness than those who do.\" Thomas Jefferson

My computers and bloopers

TI-??? It was basically a keyboard with slots for carts and an "expansion" tape player - Never messed it up.
    Commodore 64 - Erased an entire floppy disk by accident while coding a "virus"
    286 - Destroyed HD (can't remember how)
    286 - Fdisk'd HD and couldn't figure out how to fix
    386 - Never messed it up
    AMD 75 - Never messed it up
    P 133 - "
    P 233 MMX - Learned Unix/Linux on this unit
    AMD 380 - Never messed it up
    Celeron 766 - "

**Built every unit from scractch starting with the 386 onward**

A P.B. 486 16 meg's ram running 3.1. Bigest mistake....up-grading to win 95
    It was a great platform to play Cyberia?? and some biker game I can't remember the name of(Full Throutle). Also does anyone remember Larry the Lounge Lizard????
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

The first computer I ever worked with was an old Apple. Can't remember the model. The first computer in our household was my mom's C64... No disk drive, but we had a tape drive (that used audio tapes.) My first computer was a Packard Bell 486 50Mhz with 4M of RAM and a 420 M hard drive. I still have it and still use it. I now also own 4 PS/2 computers, an Apple ][c and several old 486's. Our main computer is a custom build I threw together (AMD K-6 450Mhz w/ 384 M RAM and an ATI Rage Fury Pro, a generic 12x DVD, a CD burner, CallWaiting modem, 30 Gig HD and an old Sound Blaster 32. It runs Mandrake 8.1. We're gonna upgrade the cpu soon (to cut some of the chop from playing DVD's).
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

My First Computer was an Apple i really dont remeber much about it that was a really long time ago i had it for a year till some one stoled it =( i only got Pictures as Memories and then i had a Packardbell 133mhz 32mb Ram running win95 like this old box hmm i love it still running but now runs Linux =) and now i got 2 TOP SECRET COMPS called the "Alcatraz Network of Convicted Dexters"

Originally posted by thor
    Also does anyone remember Larry the Lounge Lizard????
    I assume you mean Leisure Suit Larry? If so, yeah, had (still have actually) it and all the other sierra games that used that type of interface.....Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Kings Quest......they're the reason I got hooked on computers
    Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune

Cool

My first computer is the one I still use. It has a 433 celeron. It originally came with a 4.3 gig hard drive but now has that and a 30 gig unit. It originall came with 32mb of Ram but now has 512mb. I also added an 8x CD burner, and an Ultra ATA 66 PCI hard drive controller card. I run both Windows 98 SE, and Mandrake Linux on it.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19