Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External/internal modems

Cool

I heard years ago when I was in high school that internal modems were faster than external because it took external longer to transfer data to the computer from the modem, but I personally have no experience with external so I don't know.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

I heard years ago when I was in high school that internal modems were faster than external because it took external longer to transfer data to the computer from the modem, but I personally have no experience with external so I don't know.

That wasn't true. Bytes receive and send are travel at a speed of light. Thus, what make internal and external modem different in speed is internal modem really depend on computer resource to work while external work independent without using any computer resources. It just receive data, demodulate it from analog to digital and send it to computer. Curently I'm using US Robotics 56k Message Modem. I really impress with it performance.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    I have used all internal modems and they have worked fine on my systems. (Yes, running WinCrap, as they Linux groupies call it.)

But having external modems do have their advantages, such as seeing when data is being transferred and such. So I guess the question is, do you want everything in the box of the comp or not?

External modems when outdated also make handy cup holders and door stops. 70 % of internal modems are winmodems now.

Though some of the new USB modems are also winmodems.

Beware of the winmodem.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead