Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What can somone do with my ip address?

Thanks terr

Re: What can somone do with my ip address?

Originally posted by jiffy
    First off hello! I'm just getting into this stuff so yes I'm a newbster. I'm going to school for networking but I'm trying to learn all this security, hacking stuff on the side. I have done a lot of reading on this site and its been great reading, I have learned alot from this site alone.

Anywas I like to play online games (quake3 my favorite) and I always get some punk kid threating me, with crap like I got your ip address I'm going to crash your computer haha. Should I be alarmed, can a person do nasty things to my pc with my ip address?
    Oh, and just something to add...
    For most online games with servers, like Quake, Half Life, Tribes, etc., other players usually can't get your IP address, unless they have some sort of control over the server, if they are an admin on the server you are on, for instance. As for Yahoo games, I think a similar thing applies.

Some things aren't as secure, such as IRC, where anyone can see anyone's IP address, or ICQ, which works in such a way that you can get the IP info.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

hey all
    ok i don't want to sound like i'm giving a speech. i just want to say that i got into computers seriously quite awhile ago and have been reading texts online for the past year and it's just awesome. at the moment i'm only 14 and i think i'm past the newbie stage, into the "choose your path" stage and i want to say i'm going to walk down the whitehacker path. i think the old hacker ethics are the best way to go about computing. just the other day dad bought me a book on networking/security and i'm loving it.
    "That was a community service announcement"
    exist

forever

eXist, that did sound like you were giving a speech... However, it was a good short speech, so kongratz!!

Its good that your going whitehat.... otherwise we'd have to get the thwopping stick out....

oo nooo please not the thwopping stick hahaha
    i think in my opinion though whitehat is the only way to go, but hey thats just this young individual.
    exist

forever

I agree with you completely...

hell, if you have an insaiteable desire to destroy stuff.. destroy your own stuff.. at least that way you can't get in trouble..

*remembers his times of getting a friend to break his computer so he could see how long it would take to troubleshoot & fix*

*remembers his times of getting a friend to break his computer so he could see how long it would take to troubleshoot & fix*
    lol u karazy man. i don't think i'd like to try that one on my home computer. dad would go ballistic at me. might as well try it sometime though
    exist

forever

Talking Have fun!!

http://pleasehackme.dyndns.org

Here you go, it's a Windows 2000 Pro workstation with no service packs or patches with IIS setup with some default crap I just whipped up out of no where. Of course, everything isn't that easy, the administrative account has a 128 character password, I thought that would make things interesting Thank goodness for autologin If you hack it then be sure to post it somewhere so the world knows that my domain of, err what was it again, oh yeah pleasehackme.dyndns.org got hacked.

Cheers!!

Update:
    Well that didn't take long, it's now dead, everything wiped out, congratulations to whoever did that

Jiffy: Just get the ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com), there's no need for paying > $300 for a hardware firewall just for personal use. You can test your security at www.HackerWhacker.com . It does a scan and then reports vulnerabilities. I have done it, it was nice to look when ZoneAlarm just blocked thousands of attempts...
    If you are are worried about leaving your IP into web sites (this is very common, some visitor counters like ExtremeTracker (extreme-dm.com) log IP) you can always surf with some anonymizer. Www.Safeweb.com seems to be pretty good. Www.SamSpade.org also has got a secure web browser which unfortunately shows only a part of the page and only the source of it, but...
    Then, even if you have got a cable, the IP that is shown to outern world doesn't need to be the one of your computer. Some ISPs allow you to choose one IP to be 2-wayed so that if someone connects you to your IP it is directed into the IP of your local network (subnet) you have chosen. If you choose the IP to be one-way, all attemps into it will crash into the ISP's robust firewalls.

-ZeroOne
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Post A list of online port scanners

OK, here's a list of online port scanners aka. services you use to check how secure you are:
    http://www.linux-sec.net/Audit/nmap.test.gwif.html

Someone could also find/do a list of those "hack me!" servers!

-ZeroOne
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25