Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What can somone do with my ip address?

What can somone do with my ip address?

First off hello! I'm just getting into this stuff so yes I'm a newbster. I'm going to school for networking but I'm trying to learn all this security, hacking stuff on the side. I have done a lot of reading on this site and its been great reading, I have learned alot from this site alone.

Anywas I like to play online games (quake3 my favorite) and I always get some punk kid threating me, with crap like I got your ip address I'm going to crash your computer haha. Should I be alarmed, can a person do nasty things to my pc with my ip address?

Hi,
    Well, the punks can do stuff like they are saying, although his immature threats just scream script kiddy to me....

There are lots of things that can be done with your IP address, such as nuking (causing you computer to crash), ping flooding (causes your computer to disconnect [not applicable to broadband, and requires the person to have a much higher connection speed than you]) and lots of other things...

One of your best defences against these punks is, you guessed it, that word which is mention hundreds of times a day here at AO, a firewall.. Just run a search for firewall through the AO search engine and you will find lots of posts on firewalls...

Another defence is patching your system with all the latest patches... I'm guessing your using windows.. just goto the microsoft update site and grab all the security updates....

Thats just a few things which you can do to protect yourself...
    I'm sure some other people will be able to provide some other perspectives on this issue....

The most likely thing that these kids would do is to "Nuke", giving you the blue screen of death. A Nuke is just a simple overflow of the TCP/IP stacks. It's very simple to do and it can be done from the "ping" command once the IP is obtained.

Microsoft is slowly fixing the problem and I know the following sytems are immune-Microsoft Windows 2000 rev.2072
    - Microsoft Windows 2000
    Microsoft Windows 2000 rev.2031
    - Microsoft Windows 2000

I think Windoze Me is aslo not vulnerable to a Nuke.

Do you have a static IP or a dynamic one?
    If your IP always stays the same, you might want to worry, but if it changes every time you connect, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Static, dynamic forget witch is witch but I have a cable connection so the ip is always the same. I'm also running win2k

Static then.

You can get your IP changed. Call up your provider and tell them you want your IP changed 'cause someone has it. They'll probably say OK, and get you to give yourself a new IP address (they give you the number) and reset your modem. Have 2 pens handy.

Banned

I suggest ..

packet storm security. I think that they are one of the most complete sites I have seen. They have almost everything a security dude could want.

I'd recommend http://infosyssec.com/

DAMN!!

your IP address is like your online SSN#
    once someone has that -that's it- unless you have dialup

a hacker or script kiddie can do anything to your computer
    -=run viruses,steal files,delete your OS,use your computer in a Denial of service attack=-

don't enter chat rooms -because lamers can you IP stealers and nuke you-

don't use any IM programs -people can steal your IP and send you files even if you set your IM to deny files-

if you need any security help =email me=
    Agentlinux@hotmail.com & webmaster@hackers4life.com

if you have PGP please send me your key!!

zonecrap

don't think that zonelabs crap can protect you
    if i were you i would go get a hardware -sonicwall soho2- like i have
    and learn more about hacking dude...

because if you just have a firewall "that can be taken down in Sec"

if you know hacking -then you're protected 100%-

if you have no firewall ""RIP""

if you want i can test the security of your firewall if you have one
    -=send me your IP=-

ps:i would not worry all night about it -most likely it's just some ****ing kids scanning for Sub7-