Thread: linux+windows=lindows ???

Exclamation linux+windows=lindows ???

http://www.lindows.com/
    is it real?
    Way to spoil Unix???
    or reabilitation windows?

Post Lindows.com

Not that I think it will become a great success, but I guess we could start expecting such an OS. Beside the fact that I don't think it will ever be used often, it is a good idea. But it makes me think too much of MicroSoft. So I'm not gonna use it. Perhaps what would be nice, is a MS-emulator for Linux. That way, you only need the **** when you're gonna use it.

Grtz,

Yes, Lindows is real. From what I understand, it is an OS that can run both unix & windows programs. Unix based? I hope so. Lindows is scheduled to come out some time next year (full version)

not to burts your bubble or anything like that but, i think it's as creditable as

http://www.billgatesisdead.com/

just my thoughts

-havanger
    Do it now and ask for forgiveness later

Banned

Well It seems legit..

I mean it would be a cool and interesting concept to have a win/*nix o/s but, probably would be super unstable.. here is the
    what they have to say etc..

MICHAEL ROBERTSON, CEO OF LINDOWS.COM, TO OFFER A PC OPERATING SYSTEM TO RUN BOTH LINUX® AND WINDOWS® SOFTWARE

LindowsOS™ Preview Release In 4th Quarter To Give Consumers New Choice

SAN DIEGO -- October 23, 2001-- Lindows.com, a company committed to bringing choice to computers, is gearing up to deliver LindowsOS Preview Release, a modern and affordable operating system for Pentium based computers. Because of its unique ability to run Linux® software titles as well as many popular Windows® (Nasdaq "MSFT") software titles, computer owners and organizations of all sizes will soon have an option for their new computers. LindowsOS is also ideal for computer users seeking to upgrade to a stable, full featured, operating system.

For under $100, users can purchase a copy of LindowsOS to run their PC. The simplified interface makes installation a straightforward, four-step process suitable for the novice or the MIS manager supervising a number of computers. LindowsOS also allows users the convenience of running LindowsOS on one or more systems, for personal use, without the hassle of serial code registrations. Users will receive the full version upon purchase, without having to call-in their registration numbers.

Once installed, LindowsOS offers a full-powered graphical desktop experience familiar to any computer user, but with advanced underlying architecture to ensure greater reliability.

PCs running LindowsOS have the unique ability to run Linux® and Windows® software. No additional software is required for owners of LindowsOS to run popular Windows® or Linux® programs.

To install Windows® software, users insert CDs or download the software and run the accompanying installer program with no modifications required. Once installed, a simple click on a desktop icon or selection from a menu launches the program in the customary fashion. All menus, dialog boxes and features operate in an expected manner and at a comparable speed. For the first time, those contemplating an operating system change will be able to keep their investment in their existing software, thereby overcoming the largest impediment to deploying a new operating system. Because LindowsOS is built around a Linux® core, it runs Linux® software natively, giving consumers the best of both worlds.

"Our goal at Lindows.com is to give the consumer a choice when it comes to their computer,” said Robertson. “For too long there's been little competition in the operating system arena and consumers have paid the price with buggy and expensive software. LindowsOS, with its ability to run many popular Windows® software programs and Linux® programs, gives computer owners a migration path to a new operating system which promises to be full featured and consumer friendly."

LindowsOS is designed to operate seamlessly in a diverse computing environment. By interoperating with existing printers, file servers, mail servers and other Internet resources, LindowsOS machines will fill the need for cost effective and stable computers, even in established organizations.

Lindows.com is distributing a Preview Release of our upcoming LindowsOS to alert computer users that a new choice is on the horizon and to accelerate valuable feedback from the computing community to help us build a better product.

"LindowsOS is a huge effort and consumer input will play a critical role in our direction and success,” said Robertson. “Our hope is that interested parties will evaluate our Preview Release, send me and the rest of the company their specific feedback, and consider our upcoming releases in their own technology plans. With the Preview Release, the user will have access to users feedback forums, databases and other customer feedback vehicles.”

LindowsOS Preview Release will be available for purchase or digital download from the Lindows.com web site. It will run on computer systems with a Pentium Processor or AMD Processor, 64 MB RAM and 1GB of disk space. Inquiries concerning OEM or site licenses should be sent to licenses@lindows.com. Michael Robertson can be reached at MichaelR@lindows.com.

Cool

I heard that Mandrake was coming out with some sort of emulator that would allow you to play windows based games on your linux system. I think that it was on CNET. They were talking about being able to play The Sims on linux.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Exclamation Winmodems

Ok so far this seems great it's every windows users dream that cant' use Linux for some reason. I was wondering since my problem with Linux is that I have a Winmodem. Would Lindows allow me install the modem driver so I can get online, I wasn't able to find it out on there site and I e-mailed them but got no reply. If it does then I think I just found my new favorite O.S.