Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic spell checker?

Automatic spell checker?

It would be nice to have an automatic spell checker while writing. It could do the check after pressing "Submit new post" and fix the major & some minor errors and maybe make the sentences begin with a capital letter & so on. That would make AO forums even more better.
    If the message is full of misspellings it's rather difficult to read, and for a foreigner it's even more difficult.

-ZeroOne

... Well OK, there could also be an option "Disable automatic spell checker".
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Banned

That would be bad :P

There are to many lazy posters out there. They need to learn how to spell on their own I think. Use a dictionary or something. Dont make things easy for people. they have sites like Spellcheck.net for.. Just my opinion on the subject..

Spell checker would nice.
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

You can always write a post in a spellcheck enabled editor and copy it in. I do this when I am concerned.

Cheers,

dspeidel

Banned
    Spell checker eh!
    Then about half of the flames would stop, how many learn to spell, grammar flames have you seen in your time here!

Good point Ennis..I stand corrected
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

Re: Automatic spell checker?

Originally posted by ZeroOne
    That would make AO forums even more better.

-ZeroOne

What about something that checks grammar!?

A spell checker would be nice, but an automatic spellchecker would be an annoyance. I would not want to have to tell the spellchecker to accept my spelling every time I mention a user handle, use 1337, or use an ancronym the spellchecker does not recognize.

Some of these issues could be easily resolved. The spellchecker could have all the user names added to it's dictionary, and it could accept all acronyms by default (denoted by all caps), but that would dilute it's strength.

I would rather see a strong voluntary spellchecker than a wimpy mandatory (automatic) one.

A spell checker would really just be a waste of room and valuable loading seconds. If you care enough you can use a dictionary, type it in Microsoft word or *nix equivelant. If you don't care enough to check your spelling why should someone else do it for you.
    G.G.

Banned
    Pure laziness I suppose.