Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: system requirments to run linux?

system requirments to run linux?

I want to put together a cheap ass pc to install linux on. How cheap and lame of a computer can I run linux on? Also I have read that mandrake or something like that is the linux flavor to get am I right?

you can run as slow of a computer as you want, linux doest have many requirements, just check if everything is compatible with version of it...

mandrake is a good one, many people like it, just do alot of research before choosing which flavor of linux you will install
    \"I am convinced that societies which live without government enjoy an infinitely greater degree of happiness than those who do.\" Thomas Jefferson

Cool

This is what Ive heard:

8 mb RAM
    40mb hard drive space
    CD rom drive

I could be wrong but this is what one of my teachers told us.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

snip!
    Linux does not support the Intel 286 and earlier
    processors. However, it fully supports the Intel 80386,
    80486, Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and Pentium III
    processors. Nevertheless, some users feel that their 80386
    Linux systems respond sluggishly, particularly when running
    X. So, if you want optimum performance, you should
    install Linux on a PC having an 80486 processor or
    better.
    Linux also supports non-Intel processors such as the
    Cyrix 6x86 and the AMD K5 and K6. Most Linux users have systems that use Intel chips; if your system uses a
    non-Intel chip, you may find it more difficult to
    resolve possible problems.

end snip!

Linux supports most IBM compatible pc's and will run with as little as 4MB ram (if you want a slow piece of crap!) and around 100MB of disk space...

As conf1rm3d_kill said - linux will run on just about anything from a 386 onwards, if you want to use a 386 though, you have to compile floating point emulation in the kernel - its not too hard and some distros do it for you - i've put debian slink onto a couple of 386's, it takes a while to boot but its alright - you can download it here - http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/.
    Mandrake is a pretty good distro, it includes a lot of tools to make configuration for the newer user easier, i have heard that they patch thier kernel so much its moving away from the mainstream linux kernel - and i'm not sure about its ability to run on the lower spec pc's.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

You can also run Red Hat on earlier systems (386s onwards). I had some students install RH7.0 on a 486 (without gui interface which is fine -- as I tell them "Real men use command line!"). I've also built a router/firewall on a Cyris 586 100mhz. It was great except it died after 3 days (but that is a hardware issue yet to be resolved).

That's the thing I like about Linux. Never throw out your old boxes. One of them can be turned into a decent server if you slap on a version of linux/unix on them.

Linux requirements

Linux wil run on old machines yes, but a 40 MB harddrive won't get you any graphical interface. KDE will need far more. And if you plan to use Suse it will take way more space.

What about installing redhat on a laptop? I've heard it can be difficult. Also, I love the tutorials.

Partly recycling information from other posts in this thread, but...

The smallest system you can run Linux on is a 386 with a floppy drive. The smallest I'm currently running it on is a 386 SLC/25 with 8Mb of core and a 420Mb disk. You don't need FPU emulation just because it's a 386 - only if it's not got a floating point copro (i.e. you don't need emulation if you have a 386DX chip, or a 387 installed on the motherboard).

The smallest system you should reasonably consider running Linux without X on is probably a 486DX with a few hundred megs of disk and at least 8Mb of core, depending on what you want to do with it. If you want to use X at all, a minimum of 16Mb of core and probably a 486DX2/66 (with a faster chip and more core highly recommended) would be sensible. If you're thinking of KDE or GNOME, at /least/ 32Mb of core and a little pentium chip. KDE is reasonably responsive on my P75 with 24Mb of core; GNOME is a little heavier though.

Any MMX pentium with 32Mb or more core will run Linux with X and KDE or GNOME quite nicely.

Oh, and the main problem with Linux on laptops is lack of support for their hardware; they often have funny network, video and sound hardware, among other things. Check the information about Linux hardware support to see if it supports your laptop's gubbins before you install.

- Freon
    NightKingdoms Progressive
    http://www.nightkingdoms.net/
    \"Circumventing the limitations of technology\"

Thumbs up re: system requirements to run Linux?

M$ loses their grip on yet another soul. hahaha.

My advice is to go down to you local used computer shop and browse through their selection.

There is an extremely high chance that anything they have will work just dandy for you. Chances are that you will find all the system you need for pretty damn cheap.

As you evolve into `ine ubergeek' and hone your code fu powers, you may decide to build a really a powerfull box.

Oh, and if you find an Alpha machine and can afford it, by all means buy that damn thing. Alpha's totally rule.

As for Distro's, I say try em all. Start with whatever you get your hands on, but definitely try them all. Each becomes more uniquie with time, so the idea of 'Linux' is becoming a little more vague every new release.

I personaly wound up liking Slackware the best after trying them all. Distro's are a very personal thing for most people so don't be afraid to experiment. javascript:smilie('')
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.