Thread: Good unix/linux books?

Cool Good unix/linux books?

I picked up "Sam's Teach Yourself Linux in 24 hours Second Edition" and "Unix for Dummies" at the local library yesterday. Are these good books for learning the basics?
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

good unix sources...

The Sams books are generally pretty good, they have lots of examples so you get some hands on experience, adn they explain things pretty well. The for dummies books are really only good for the basics. I generally don't like them, but since you got it from the library and it didn't cost you anything, no big deal.

For more in depth material, consider getting a textbook from your local community college bookstore, or even taking some classes.

Also, there's tons of online tutorials and places like lonestar.org where you can get a free unix shell and just hack around learning unix commands and features and stuff.

Agent Johnson

Linux Bible is an excellent resource that I found useful when I started using Linux.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I despise all dummies and the Teach Yourself series....I'm currently reading Using Red Hat Linux Special Edition (for 6.2) and I'm finding it quite good..............
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

Maximum Linux Security is a great resource it has over 1000 pages about securing linux
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Originally posted by casper3699
    Maximum Linux Security is a great resource it has over 1000 pages about securing linux
    Yeah, but this guy's looking for a beginner's book.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Well, one book you should definately have Unix in a Nutshell by O'Reilly (the BEST unix command book around). Other ones I'd recommend:

Running Linux (another O'Reilly)
    A Practical Guide to Unix System V by Sobell
    Unix System Administration Handbook (3rd Edition)

I've also found Linux Administration: A beginner's guide, Solaris Administration: A Beginner's Guide and Red Hat Unleashed.