Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux sucks?

Case in point: Today I installed Oracle 8.1.7 on both Windows 2000 Server and on a RedHat 7.1 box. The Win2K installation went flawlessly and there was no need to consult README files or anything else. I had Oracle running smoothly withing an hour. Linux, on the other hand, was a complete mess. The Oracle installer choked and died several times. After about 6 hours of scouring documentation from Oracle, RedHat and myriad other websites I finally managed to get Oracle partially installed, but Net8 is still completely kaput with no solution in sight.
    Guy who hates Linux because it is too complicated for him has hard time installing software on Linux. Linux to blame, or PEBKAC error? News at 11.

Well I think nullterminator has a point there. I mean I use Linux but it’s a struggle to always go on and read the howto's. Thing is most of the people don’t want to understand anything about their computer all they want is pretty pictures to send a mail or a nice spreadsheet program. And that’s why win2k is so successful. Also in big companies people see machines as a tool not something to get involved in and spend your time on. It’s just a tool to make money with that’s it they also don't care about how to setup and run Linux. And they are not necessarily morons I mean a friend of mine has a PhD in economics and he knows nothing about a computer besides how to play mp3 file on his win98. So I guess what I’m trying to say is that everyone has its own interests likes and dislikes.

Banned

Well I honestly figure if you are skilled enough to use *nix then you..

Won't need to be constantly looking at -HOWTO files. I mean you should have a clue what you are doing before you install the os. Don't just do it to blend in. That is the biggest mistake you can do. If you don't know what in the hell you are doing in windows, What makes you think you can do any better out of it. :P

I think ive kernel paniced 3 times in 6 years btw.. that really is pretty good stats for any o/s.

Angry Linux sucking?!?!

Why on earth would someone say Linux sucks? Because they don't know how to use it! The people (like me) who have the working knowledge of it can tell you that by far it is the best platform for Expert users and users who need mucho power. Security-wise, once properly configured, it is hands down the most secure. I have had more Trojans and viruses in a month on Windows than I have had with Linux for the some 9 years I have used it.
    People who put it down are not true tec's nor are they even worthy of installing it.
    Telemann Mediatrix
    Those Who Must Be Kept
    We watch, and we are always here.

Linux suck??? i dont think so..... i think the problem is that its to complex for your simple mind to work....which is quite funny when you think about it because LINUX IS FRIGGIN EASY TO USE...which must mean your a dumb ass.....

Shmoo
    I think Mr. NullT knows that Linux is a favorite around here and is trying to draw attention to himself.

I'm just curious as to why the site hasn't been defaced yet

Anyway, yeah people wine and complain. If Microsoft dropped dead and Linux ruled the world, people would still complain about how crappy Linux is. There is no pleasing the masses, just let me surf their websites and play their mp3's while we keep the rest of the tech world running. That's the way I look at it. Everyday over 100 people work in the New York city sewers to keep it running, but no ever thanks them. If they all quit, New York would become a big toilet. I tell you, the behind the scenes people never get a break

Cool

You know what. This man is right to an extent. Linux is a pain in the ass to install. Also why go through ton of command line to do something that someone created a program to do with one click. However it is good to know how things work if you are an IT person like a lot of us. Also having a system that doesn't crash is great. Don't forget that there are people out there who just want to get the job done as simply as possible without having to remember thousands of commands.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

You know, it's interesting. I go through this exact discussion with my students. They generally hate the two weeks of unix (solaris 7) and linux (red hat 7) that we throw at them. I remind them however that they have been living in a Microsoft world.

If you go in with assumptions and expect it to be as easy as Windows, that's where things will get frustrating. I've done Oracle installs on Solaris (piece of cake), red hat (couldn't get it working but that is mostly user problem.. I think I did a typo somewhere) and Windows NT (piece of cake but damn, it's a hog).

To blatantly say that one OS "sucks" over another isn't a true statement. I'm not fond of Microsoft but that's mostly due to security holes and the administrator environment that they have allowed to fester. To have admins want to have everything easy and setup in one fell swoop without knowing the OS is just wrong.

The only reason that Unix and Linux are more "secure" is that the admins have to spend more time understanding the system and that is not a bad thing. I installed Linux 7.1 last week, setting it up as a router/firewall. It worked for 3 days and then unexpectedly died. I did a clean re-install. Didn't work. Did a clean re-install without the firewall. Didn't work. Hardware error IMHO. It's not the OS. It's the user. There is something that I haven't figured out and will figure out.

I believe that every OS has its place and does what it WAS DESIGNED to do, well. Keep that in mind. Remember what OSes like NT was designed for: LAN, NOT internet. It came out around the time that Internet was catching on. Of course it would have holes in it. They never conceived it being used the way it was.

Unix/Linux had the internet developed on it. They are great for that kind of thing but do require an admin that understands.

As to why a system crashes, well ranging from hardware to user problems anything could cause that. Reality does show that Windows doesn't like being 24/7 but then again, desktop machines weren't supposed to be 24/7. My Win2K Adv Serv was up and running non-stop for quite a while until I installed a service pack. Then I had to reboot. And it continues to run non-stop. But it is a SERVER. It was designed to be 24/7.

So before slapping that poor innocent OS around, think about what it's being used for and what it was designed for.

nullterminator. ARE YOU BILL GATES??????????????????/

or are you working at Microsoft ?????

It is a great pleasure for AO that someone working at Microsoft is posting to our forums .THANKS MAN.
    If God had intended
    Man to program,
    we would be born
    with serial I/O ports.