Thread: My senior year.

Talking My senior year.

I was just talking to a friend about how much fun we had senior year. Personally, I didn't like my high school or the people that were in it. The ONLY computer courses were Typing and Computer Applications ( Office on Steriods ). I chose to take CA for the easy A and I could surf the net most of the time anyway. Me and my friend saw that the school was running NetWare. After having some fun seeing people being confused by the messages that we were sending ( there were no login names, just student01, student 02, studentXX ) we decided to step it up. While doing an exercise in Word I wanted to see if the school had patched up some widely known bugs. I ran con/con and like poop through a goose there was the blue screen of death. My teacher ran over immediatly and asked me what happened. All that came out of my mouth was "I click save in word." My friend immediatly got and idea from this. Over the next few weeks our computers were always "crashing" whenever we tried to save. Soon enough everyone but my teacher caught on. After taking a short break from school we came back only to hear that my teacher had 3 different Tech Support companies in there trying to figure out what was wrong. I took a break using con/con. Eventually the school installed Fortress thinking that would stop alot of the hacking, bugs, etc. It's pretty bad when they install the admin password in a txt named access.txt on a shared drive. I had alot of fun that year. but needless to say I did meet with the teacher at the end of the year. I pointed out all the bugs on the computers, backdoors, etc. She was surprisingly very happy to hear this and I didn't get in all the trouble most people say they do when they do this. I guess my point of the story is, if you find a bug, don't abuse it. Talk to the admin/teacher in a nice way explaining whats happening. You may be surprised how they re-act.
    Would you like to play a game?

How about Global Thermonuclear War?

Thumbs up Why yes! I would like to play a game.

Very cool story and it as a great moral to it! The Hacking/Secirity world needs more people like you.

See you around.

Shmoo
    hehe, sounds like my junior year.

My school network uses Netware. Maybe I should see if I can find any of those bugs. I'm sure they're there, because the network is badly neglected. To give an example, we run an outdated virus scan engine with definitions from September of last year. Can you give me a list of what you did? No, I don't want to abuse it.

Originally posted by stflook
    My school network uses Netware. Maybe I should see if I can find any of those bugs. I'm sure they're there, because the network is badly neglected. To give an example, we run an outdated virus scan engine with definitions from September of last year. Can you give me a list of what you did? No, I don't want to abuse it.
    The two biggest things are pretty easy. In netware there should be a little red N icon in your system tray. Just right click that and there should be something like messaging or such. Your ID will have an asterix* next to it. Just click a user and send them a message! Depending on the version it can come up as a message box or a big screen.

The con/con bug is pretty much widely known. All you have to do is click Start....run.....con/con. The same works from aux/aux and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. It's nothing that's really uber-33ro3to3o1o3to13ot3o1to13t.
    Would you like to play a game?

How about Global Thermonuclear War?

Odd, there is no N icon in the system tray. Maybe they're using a really old version or something...... Forgive me, but Novell isn't my area of expertise.

Originally posted by stflook
    Odd, there is no N icon in the system tray. Maybe they're using a really old version or something...... Forgive me, but Novell isn't my area of expertise.
    I think in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Network/...?) you can find the registry keys that the novell client in the sys-tray uses... nwpopup.exe, I think. Basically, there's a setting to show the little N or not. And the program lets you send messages (similar winpopup.exe, part of W9x installations), see your current connections, edit your login script, etc.

con/con works in Dos and in mirc too

As for netware exploits, Hacking Exposed had a ton in there... There are things from Simple Nomad (nmrc.org) to exploit old versions, which are worth a try if you feel comfy installing packet drivers.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Talking

greate story man atari...so u became a hero by pointing those bugs...there...

great....

intruder...

hehe, sounds like my junior year.
    Same Here. Except that I took over a linux webserver because the students that were building it said it was unhackable. I emailed them one day with 5 out of 7 passwords saying that they should change it if they want it to be secure. They never did so I took it over to show them they needed to secure it better next time. The people who ran this server had a whole 20 some pages on there server,when they got it back up and running, about me. They put my name as "XXXXXXX took over the server","XXXX asked for a copy of linux", and so on. They basicly guessed that it was me. they had no hard proof. I was banned from even touching a computer in the school for a year. Even though I fixed the ag teachers computer later. If I find the report I will post it somewhere.
    I also showed the network admins that on the computers they should not share the full hard drive of the computers over the network. Here was a fun program to put on there "startup" at the bottom of this reply. Or play around with there autoexec.bat file.

I was kinda malicious back then but I changed and I don't do that destructive stuff any more.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]