Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Q's, mostly fire walls....

Originally posted by Conf1rm3d_K1ll

LOL...Of course you had to click around 5 times! You should have checked the little box that says "Create appropriate filter rule?"

Hehe, I KNOW! But if its a program that I want tiny to ask me everytime it wants to access the internet, then how should I set the filter. From what I remember it was off or on, not ask me for auth. Is there an option for this?? Again tiny was so quiet, felt like it wasnt doing its job hehe.
    LuRk?!?!

I see what you mean now.

Unfortunatley you would still have to create the appropriate filter rule to let the program access the 'net.........then when you've finished with that program you would have to delete the appropriate filter rule so Tiny would ask you next time it tried to access..

Banned
    NoNeckJoe: Hrm, yeah would be nice, but gotta get the funds for that. Was wondering, I have a 10/100 3com hub. Do you know of anyway that I can set that up to have the cable modem plugged into the hub, and have 2 computers also plugged into hub and able to access the internet. I do not have a router or anything, so its pretty much hub only. On firewalls and such right now making sure im patched up and running ZA is about all I can do.

Also what do you think about the routers they have out now, like linksys that come with DHCP nat and firewalls? Gud/suck/noway?

You would need a router to with at least gateway address then you could plug that into the DSL line and then in to the hub and give multiple PC's access to the internet.

Yes personally I like the new linksys routers with the built-in firewalls.

-Quad

Conf1rm3d_K1ll: Yeah, thats too much work hehe. So I just stick with zone

NoNeckJoe: Yeah looks like I will have to get a router then

On the routers with firewalls, thanks for input
    LuRk?!?!

s1lv3r, GET the LINKSYS bro! The thing is filthy, it has probably been the best addition to my network at home................
    Pr3shuR
    ----------
    always

Linksys Security

I am using a linksys in a small business setting, and am woudering how secure it really is. Its good enough to keep what I know out..but I also dont know that much. I guess I feel like its too easy, and generally if its too easy I am forgetting sumthen. For may purposes I want everyone denied, but people behind it to browse.
    Thanks
    Phil

Re: General Q's, mostly fire walls....

Originally posted by S1lv3r
    Are they super easy to bypass for basically anyone that knows what he/she is doing?
    Depends on your security level, to some degree. I would almost always go with the strategy of blocking everything by default, and only allowing explicit things to work... rather than allowing everything by default, and making filters to catch stuff you don't want.

Also, are there ways to hide connections from netstat in dos. Basically, if I think someone is in my system, but has bypassed zone alarm. When I do a netstat, will that show that they are connected, or can they hide that as well??
    What Pressure said. It is possible (though not that likely, given that they would have to make it look exactly like netstat), if there is a trojan on your computer that really starts mucking with system stuff. But if there isn't a hostile program on your computer, and it's strictly from the outside, I would say no... Unless you cound a stealth scan as a 'connection'... (Which it isn't, if you think about it.)

Originally posted by S1lv3r
    I used tiny for a bit, but its too quiet, zone warns me whenever something trys to get to the net, also gives me hit counts and such. Who is trying to get in where. Again, I used tiny for a bit, but do not know it that well. I also like zones options of letting stuff access the net only when I want it too. Say like winamp, it allways ask to get to the net, if im running shoutcast then I allow it, if not then I dont allow it. With tiny it seems like I couldnt just click allow for this time. I had to click allow like 5 times, and then again some later. Or if I set to allow then it would allways allow it. Call me fickle hehe.
    Uhm... Did you click 'remember for this specific computer'? The thing is, it MIGHT have created a rule that was specific to either a certain computer or a certain port. (I can't speak for the latest version, it doesn't work for me. I've only used 2.0.6) That way, whenever you want to connect to one that you haven't connected to before, it might ask you. There is a simple way to fix it... Just edit the rule yourself so that it works for the stations you like. Tiny's auto-add feature isn't that wonderful. (But I didn't mind, because I always wanted to edit it myself anyway.)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Pr3shuR: Thanks for the input, I will look into linksys as soon as funds allow

Terr: When I get home going to work a bit with zone, will post up some results. This pertains to the other vuneralbility<gg spelling> post that I put up. Seems as though no software firewall is that secure, but again, better then nothing at all.

On Netstat, yeah I was just wondering if that could be faked at all. Seems like they would have to have full access to your computer before they could fake anything out of netstat.

On Tiny, yeah I used for a bit, its just too quiet, I got so used to zone alarm allways having stuff for me to look at, tiny just sat there. Im sure it was doing its job, but bells and whistles just work better for me i guess hehe.

Thanks for the response
    LuRk?!?!