Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you telnet or connect to a ftp program?

Can you telnet or connect to a ftp program?

I'm wanting to set up a ftp account with cuteftp or something so I can be on any computer either at school or at a buddies house and be able to log into it and download stuff from it without any additional software. Like can I log into it using dos commands or telnet and download from it?

Ofcourse,You can.

Hi mom!
    If you want, you can set up an ftpserver at your computer. To do this, you'll have to download and install a program, windows 9x doesn't have one included. Go to a tucows like site, and search for ftpserver or ftpdeamon. I used to use WarFTP , but there are several other free progammes on the market you can use.

Setting up a server can be a bit tricky. I suggest you stick to the manual and/or the help-pages.

After setting up (and running, of course) the server, you can connect to it from any computer. Windows supplies a 'dos-like' ftp client (Start/run/ftp) but that one is a little hard to use. My choice is CuteFTP or LeechFTP . Yeah, you have to download it seperately, but it's easier in use. If you insist on not downloading anything, you can also connect to a ftpserver using your browser (internetexplorer, navigator, opare, mozilla... ). To connect to an ftpserver, type this url:

ftp://username:password@my.ftpserver.com/

This all should give you a startingpoint. Good luck.

Edit: Man, my grammar sucks :)

I know how to set up ftp server, I need to know how to connect to it without using a ftp program. Could I just telnet into it? Also once I connect to it from telnet how do I download from it?

Hi mom!
    No, you don't telnet to it. That won't work.

Either use ftp (open a dosbox and type ftp) or use your browser ( ftp://user:password@server ). As far is I know, those are the only two methods to connect to a server without any additional program-downloads.

I got it, thanks

Post Telnet to FTP

Actually, you CAN telnet to an FTP server...just specify the port. You'll need to know what you're doing once you connect though.

Post Telnet to FTP

Actually, you CAN telnet to an FTP server...just specify the port. You'll need to know what you're doing once you connect though.

Hi mom!
    Connecting, ok, but are you able to transfer files? I was under the impression that that's not possible under telnet... (or you'd have to use telnet to tell a system to send a file to a computer, but in that case, we aren't talking about an ordinary ftpserver anymore, are we?)

If your goal is to be able to transfer files no matter what machine you are on, learn to use the DOS and linux command line ftp clients. You should use the ones that are already provided by the system. They will usually be available to you. You may not always be able to download CuteFTP every time you are at a new machine.

If you type ftp://username:password@my.ftpserver.com/ into your browser, you will only be able to download files, not upload them. Also, be very careful doing this, because your password will be stored in the browser's history. Anyone can read the history, and use your username password to gain access to your system.

Edit: Minor formatting changes.