Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promiscuous Mode Driver for NIC

Question Promiscuous Mode Driver for NIC

I'm trying to get a 3com 3C905C-TX NIC into promiscuous mode. Running win98. I have downloaded and installed ethereal and winpcap. When I run ethereal I can only see netbios names...and all of my own TCP and HTTP traffic. I've checked 3com's site and downloaded the latest drivers and diagnostics but still cannot configure it correctly. I've searched all over the web and I did find support page for a security software maker that says this card supports promiscuous mode. All the info I've read indicates most cards support this mode.

It doesn't appear this card will get me there, does anyone know of a nic for windows that definitely supports promiscuous mode? Or anyone with any suggestions on what I have missed in the setup/install?

Any help appreciated

Did you install the winpcap driver into your network stack?
    I\'m not a BOT I\'m a beer droid!
    Prepare to be Assimilated.

Obi,

No I do not believe I did that because I wasn't aware how to do that. I just ran the winpcap.exe I downloaded. How do I get it installed to my network stack?

Thanks

Go into your network setup and add a protocol, when it asks which one tell it you have a disk. Then browse to where you unzipped the winpcap driver and it should install it for you.

cheers

Obi,

After I hit have disk in the network panel the only option I have is to select an *.inf file. I can't change files of type so I can't select the winpcap.exe I downloaded.

I downloaded the latest version of winpcap.exe and the executable is supposed to auto-install itself to the network stack but its not. Is there a download a non auto-installing version?

You've already helped alot-Thanks

Obi,

I just found

http://www.datanerds.net/~mike/netgr...ll/Default.htm

which has the inf file and others that I think I need to install.

Thanks alot for leading me to the water.

Cool.....

If you need it, I can post the one I have running on my system here for you. Let me know how it goes.

cheers

Well Obi,

I have managed to get the packet driver into the network stack. I am still unable to see any other traffic besides my own. Any other setings in the network section that need to be tweaked. The packet is bound to the NIC. Any suggestions.

Are there other machines on your network segment, ie. directly attached to your hub? Or, are you using a switched network?

There are other machines connected to my network segment-we all conecting the same hub.