Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE5.5 Error

IE5.5 Error

Alright, so something is messing up with IE 5.5.

I don't know when, but ever since yesterday, whenever I visit any type of search engine or I hit "search" on any website, I get an "iexplorer.exe has failed..blah blah blah...you want to send an error report? you need to restart the browser" error.

It happens, EVERY time I enter any search criteria and hit "search." I am running WIN 2k Pro ServicePack 2 on a 700 mhz AMD Athlon. This has never happened before, in all actuality, I have been quite impressed with Win2k, with having very few bugs/crashes. This just started and is now changing my mind towards good ole' Win 2k Pro.

Please, if any of this sounds familiar or anything, I would appreciate any help you could offer. Or, if you know of anywhere I could go for help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    ...the scent of your hair as you twirl in your fingers, and the time on the clock, when we realized that it\'s so late, and this walk that we shared....together!

Post IE5.5 SP?

Which SP of IE5.5 are you currently running? If it's SP1, try updating IE5.5 to SP2, it might help. If that don't work, throw it away and install NetScape . Or IE 6 if you like.

Hope you can do something with this,

Grtz,

It's just microsoft's way to make you upgrade!

But, seriously, that's why I switched to Opera. I got tired of the hidden directories, the increasing integration, the lack of certain features, the BUGS dear lord the BUGS!

If you don't feel like switching, I would just back up your bookmarks and cookies and reinstall. It can take forever and a day to fix that kind of stuff without the source-code. (Oh, and the browser, if you send a bug report, also sends the page you were viewing Watch out!)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

It is SP2. I have looked all around microsoftupdate.com to find stuff. I have found like every answer to every error, EXCEPT for this one.

I'm not worried about what page I was on. It was just google, and I was searching for laptops.
    I don't like Netscape so I won't go down that route. But, I might upgrading to 6, see if that works..

I appreciate the quick responses that I have gotten. I have been noticing that at late night, the intelligent posters seem to be more evident, I just chalk it up to it being the "kRad script kiddies" bed times.
    Or not.
    Thanks...keep the answers coming.
    ...the scent of your hair as you twirl in your fingers, and the time on the clock, when we realized that it\'s so late, and this walk that we shared....together!

Talking Late time?

Erm. Over here it's about 10:30 AM. So I guess it's got something to do with early-birds. At least in my case. But the I'd guess that quite alot of you guys are from the States, as I'm from Europe. Am awake now for 4:30 hours, working for 2:30 hours. Have a nice sleep over there duudz,

Grtz,

Originally posted by j0bber

I'm not worried about what page I was on. It was just google, and I was searching for laptops.
    I don't like Netscape so I won't go down that route. But, I might upgrading to 6, see if that works..
    You're right not to like Netscape. They lost me when they released Netscape 6. That was one memory hungry browser! And slow as a wet week!

Download Opera's latest browser, 5.12. It's lightweight and very fast. The fastest browser on earth they claim! Full java capabilities as well....What more could you ask for. Plus they have a whole page of the usual plugins...

On the IE topic....When you get the error message does it give you an option to click on a details button? If so, what details does it list?

If your IE is crashing, and you are running a Win2k computer... update IE... I had a similar problem.. my IE kept crashin... however, mine was worse.. it would open, and then crash....
    I updated it from cd my friend got me... since then, I have not have one crash of IE.. that's been almost 2 months.......

IE 6 is quite stable and good.. but as with IE5.* I f#cking hate the hidden index.dat files and histroy...

If you don't format often.. switch to another browser...

I format like every two to three weeks (yes, I break my computer that often), so I don't care about the history....

oh and the fact that I have no life, online and offline, helps...

P.S.. in the past two months.. about 90% of my net viewing has been AntiOnline and other security sites.. Am I sad or am I sad¿¡¿¡
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Well, I upgraded to IE 6 and still get the error.

As far as details go, all it gives me is that it is an application error, and that it's internal. It goes on and on explaining what it is doing when it sends the report to Microsoft.

It's funny how much they will go into detail about the most pointless stuff. I jsut got an error, I'd like to know what that error means, not how proud you are of yourself for developing a way for me to send you my error, without giving me any help.
    Oops, I'd better step down from my soapbox, it's a little slippery.

I will check out Opera though. See if that works out at all.
    Thanks once again.

you could try this:
    start>>programs>>accessories>>system tools>>system information.
    on the menu bar select tools>>system file checker

this checks the integrity of all system files and allows you the option of replacing them from the original cd...works for me.

Exclamation I think Internet Explorer 5.5 is a security problem

I installed Zone Alarm pro on my computer with IE 5.5. I set it up to allow only standard web page protocols through the proper ports. IE immediately failed, claiming it could not connect to the internet Zone Alarm was reporting that Internhet was trying to sequentially access ports somewhere around 1900, and the port in question would be raised by 1 every time I tried to load a web page. Bad enough with people randomly scanning my ports from the outside every now and the, let alone the same thing happening from my WEB BROWSER!!! A group of grey hat hackers (the only people who had any idea about this problem AT ALL from what I could find) told me that it would just be easier to install Opera 5.12. So I did. It works BETTER than IE, faster, more options, and yes, if you install it on a clean Windows 95 system WITHOUT ever installing IE, you will never see an index.dat file again. Opera uses dat files, but you can delete them no problem. I also did a full windows reinstall and set up a set of batch files on my computer that replaces user.dat and user.da0 every time I reboot No more Microsoft snooping in the drive The batch files are availiable at http://www.geocities.com/nohandle.geo/brainwasher.zip but you must have a new Windows installation for it to be worth it, it's harder to install software (one extra click is now REQUIRED to update your regisrty) and the batch files move the dat and da0 files around, causing a bit of room for completely losing your registry. If you don't like index.dat, user.dat is worse and you should get this.