Thread: linux and my sound card

linux and my sound card

i have suse 6.4 and when i boot up it says my sound card is out of range, i've tried everything in yast but i cannot get my soundcard set up right. it is a sb pci 512. any ideas?
    (i'm pretty new to linux, so it might be something simple.)
    Bradley Lamar

Sound card problems

I would

cd /lib/modules/2.x.x/kernel/sound and make sure that you have
    all of the modules that the instructions for the sound card say you need to have inserted. These instructions can be found in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound there should be a soundblster.txt file in here that describes proper kernel module insertion here.

to see what modules you have loaded up do an

lsmod

If you still have a windows partition, and the sound card works in Windows, find out for sure what irq, dma, and iomem the card is using. They wil need to be the same values in Linux as well.
    In my experience with sound cards the two gotchas always seem to be the irq and dma.

If you still need some help on this try going to http://www.linuxdoc.org they have a pretty good sound How-To there.

Hope this helped.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Hey if you still are having problems you can go to www.opensound.com and buy there sound driver/module thingy it saved me a lot of time rather then wasting hours on end trying to get onboard sound to work under slackware...hope this helps