Thread: Linux Mail Server

Linux Mail Server

Hey all... This isn't really a security question, but anyway...
    I'm currently working on a feasibility study for the implementation of a network. I am offering three possible solutions..
    The solutions are..
    1. A Windows 2k centric network
    2. A Linux centric network
    3. A meshed one, involving linux servers and Windows workstations...

Here is my question... I am going to recommend the meshed solution, however, I need to provide a Mail Server for the network.. Does anyone know a good Mail server for Linux.. it doesn't have to be cheap (if it costs anything), as I can justify the expenditure through the savings by using linux..

Thanks in Advanced...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Re: mail server

I would recommend starting out at one of the Linux Mail Administrator How-To's, here's a link. Mail Administrator How-To .

I would recommend Qmail over sendmail any day. There was a running bounty of about $1000 /*I think */ to anyone who could break into it. They stopped offering the bounty becasue it went unclaimed so long.

There are also commercial mail server applications available like @Mail and such, but I really don't know much about them.

P.S. Qmail can be downloaded at FreshMeat
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Thanks UberC0der... That Mail Administrator How To is quite helpful..

According to the HowTo, it was a $500 reward and then another group offered $1000...
    The $1000 bounty was only offered for 1 year, but the $500 still stands...

I wish I could find a security hole.. I want money..
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Re:

Your quite welcome
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Talking A Linux Mail Server

In a real-world enterprise enviroment, sendmail or qmail would better serve as mailrelays.
    Alas, the services granted by these servers are very limited. As a company mail server - Lotus Domino Server would be the right solution.

http://www.lotus.com/home.nsf/welcome/domino

You could be right about Lotus Domino, but many an ISP and University use these day in and day out under heavy load with minimal complaints from users and high uptimes.

Don't get me wrong, SendMail kicks ass. I'd never choose anything else for very heavy loads, or for a low-cost solution. but if you want a mail server that will give you more functionality such as IM or collabaration, you'd have to go Domino or *cough* Exchange.

re:

Cool. Sounds like a good read, I will go check Domino out.