Thread: Having Mouse Troubles, Need Help!

Exclamation Having Mouse Troubles, Need Help!

I run as an alternate box Linux Mandrake 7.1 (or is it 7.2?), and with one slight error, I accidently made it to where the mouse no longer operates... normally I wouldn't mind, but since it is Linux, it makes moving around a pain in the arse...you know the situation, and I would really apreciate the help... I will even give you positive antiponts, just because I am a nice person....I feel too much like a telemarketer sometimes...

(--Also, can anyone tell me where I can find a C compiler for Linux?--)
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Hey psychosquee,

I've never configured the mouse after an install but for the mouse, give a try to http://nodevice.com/sections/ManIndex/man0879.html. That might help.

As for the C compiler, that's included generally with most *nix installations. Go to a prompt and do a gcc. gcc is the compiler often used. You can get more info at: http://gcc.gnu.org/

Hope this helps.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

sorry, I can't help you with your mouse problems but I do believe there are C Compilers installed with most distributions of Linux when you install it.. so in response, on your computer or on your linux CD
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Damnit... MsMittens reply wasn't there when I clicked post... now don't I look silly....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.

I am having major mouse problems too. I had to romove the whole bottom of it just to get it to work properly...
    --It\'s all good... (Except for Windows ME)--

Awwww, someone gave me negative antipoints for my post coz I said the same thing as MsMittens.. thats mean.. MsMittens post wasn't there when I pressed post reply... Oh well, guess I will have to type faster in the future......
    -Matty_Cross

now you have some positives
    --It\'s all good... (Except for Windows ME)--

Re: mouse problems

No sweat

I am assuming that this is a PS/2 scrollwheel mouse, if for no other reason than that sems to be what most people use. If you are using something different please let me know.

Your mouse config is part of your XF86Config, so we need to
    cd into /etc/X11 and make some changes. I use vi, but use whatever editor you like best. You will need to be root or su'd to root privi's to do this.

example:

cd /etc/X11; vi XF86Config

Your mouse settings are going to be about 1/3rd of the way down, unless you used YAST2 (Suse Linux) to create XF86Config.
    You will see something like:

# Begin Input Device Mouse

At this point edit the mouse section to look like this.

# Begin Input Device Mouse

Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
    Option "ButtonNumber" "5"
    Option "InputFashion" "Mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

# End Input Device Mouse

Now just start/restart your X server and you should have a working scroll mouse in any application that was written to use one.

Hope this helped
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.