Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best version of Linux

Re: Best Linux Distro

Possibly the most `dangerous' question to ask about Linux.

Lilo is pretty good at finding boot sectors on other partitions, and the only OS it *probably* won't find in my experience is FreeBSD. But taht is Ok because FreeBSD has it's own boot manager that is pretty spiffy.

Linux Distro's is another question. Just keep in mind that if you use Red Hat, Suse, or Mandrake; you will be learning Red Hat, Suse or Mandrake. Linux is really *just* the kernel and nothing elese. All of the rest of that stuff (directory structures, package managers, init scripts, and such) can be pretty disparate from one distrro to the next, although they are all similar enough that once experienced at the command line, will be a pro on most Distro's.

To Linux newbies I always say 'Dive in Deep' and try 'em all. This is for two reasons. One - you will most likely decide on your favorite based on *your* experiences not somebody eleses. Two - there is so much to learn. I frequently get new users in my Linux User Group that have used Red Hat for 1+ year and don't know how to untar and compile software by hand ( a pretty basic *nix skill) because they have alway used RPM's.

Here is a great place to download/burn iso's of some of the more popular distro's. http://www.linuxiso.org

<opinion>
    But since you asked.... I like Slackware the best. It is fine for newbies. Sure the learning curve s pretty steep compared to other Disto's, but that just shortens your time to becoming experienced.
    </opinion>
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Installing LILO (LInux LOader) on the MBR (Master Boot Record) will allow you to boot multiple OSes including Linux and Windows.

I've found SuSE 7.2 to be excellent so far, but I forked out £50 for it, if you don't want to do that try downloading the images from RedHat/SuSE/Mandrake etc. and burning them to CD. Another option is to buy a magazine such as Linux Format with the DVD version because that usually contains the latest version of a popular distro.

Hope this helps
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Originally posted by pwaring
    I've found SuSE 7.2 to be excellent so far
    Yeah me too, a lot of reviews have put SUSE at the top of the tree (ie the best) and the personal/home user edition is very nice and windows like so it's good for starting off on. Nice of you too put this in m$ security discussions!
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.

Smile Don't know bout 7.2 ... but SuSE in general kicks ass ...

I kinda think SuSE fumbled quite badly with 7.1 and didn't realy do much more good with 7.2 ... now with 7.3 is all good, specially the raid functions ...
    if u don't wanna buy the 7.3 CDs, go on their ftp and get the 7.0 version. Don't believe the 7.3 is on it for a few month.
    Why 7.0 ??? Cause ... just take it from me ... ...
    i work daily with 7.1 and my co-worker with 7.2 ... and we both regret having upgraded ... but now with 7.3 we are looking into a whole new SuSE experience ...
    For dual booting ... SuSE is one of the best i would say ... Lilo boot makes it all easy ...
    and if u are a more windowze orientated user, SuSE offers u a neat and easy graphical Install.
    Nur die Harten kommen in den Garten

SuSe is also my favourite, altough I have to say that Yast 2 isn't really that helpfull. It can't solve all hardware problems.

Originally posted by Focmaester
    SuSe is also my favourite, altough I have to say that Yast 2 isn't really that helpfull. It can't solve all hardware problems.
    What Linux installer can?
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Question Adding new distro to second harddrive

http://images.animfactory.com/animat...ype_md_wht.gifOkay I don't have a burner on this comp and it is one I use on the road allot so my question
    Is there a wya to load slackware from /home/
    to the second drive.
    when typing fdisk in root it doesn't show the second drive but guess that would be because i haven't formated it for linux yet but once i format it and if it does show on fdisk
    what would be the command to get started
    on passing the distro that I have stored on home/ on hda1
    to hdb1 any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanx.
    Imagine a world without computers. Imagine how much everything would be out of order. With the dependance we have for computers and the aid they give us for everyday uses

Just make sure you don't have a WinModem. Cause it will ruin your whole setup. I would actually suggest that you make sure all of your hardware is compatible with the Linux or whatever operating system.

My operating system is linux mandrake 8
    I'm wanting to instal slackware from within
    to second hard drive without burning cds
    I have quite a few computers with burners but they are at my home and that is about 684 miles from here being fairly new to the linux os I get a little confused on the fdisk they show on the terminal. not sure of a few commands like to install the software that is sitting in my home directory. Break out the docs again see if it has commands for it.
    Thanx for the reply.
    Imagine a world without computers. Imagine how much everything would be out of order. With the dependance we have for computers and the aid they give us for everyday uses