dcsimg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antipoints

This I actually thought about...and then thought that as the antipoints wont let you asign people antipoints one after the other that this wouldn't be quite so important. This is i guess just another example where a decent feature is wrecked because a few would abuse it.
    It's true that the current system won't let you give the same person points over and over before giving them to others. The end result? Lots of other people caught in the middle getting points, good or bad, that they don't deserve. We can avoid that can of worms altogether simply by not providing the sender's name. If you want to have it send the name as a default and leave a checkbox or something to submit anonymous points, that would be fine. I know that doesn't solve the problem in question, but I think it would be a good middle ground. You should ask JP about an alternative way to track AntiPoints abusers. I'm sure he can come up with something, assuming he agrees.

shouldn't there be at least ( as UberC0der said) a mandatory comment when giving someone antipoints.
    A mandatory comment as WHO said?? I posted a thread about that exact topic a while ago, and JP shot it down. I'm not about to retype my whole argument on the issue, but here's the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=119593

Although I usually put my name to points given or not with a comment stating why,I don't really think it should be mandatory.Maybe far too much emphasis is being given to the whole subject.Although I don't doubt there are those trying to abuse the system or maybe being unfair.I do agree that if you are giving someone negative points there should at least be a comment as to why and it should be more of an explanation than "I'm having a bad day and taking it out on you" or "I just don't care for your view on this".Better yet,if you disagree with someone's statement post a reply giving your view point.This is supposed to be an open discussion forum where views can be expressed and then discussed,let's not forget we are all different,we are all from different backgrounds,we all have varying computer skills,and are from different age groups...but have at least one thing in common...... wanting to know more about computers,computer security,and the cyber world we move around in today.
    \"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he,himself,does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss,the abyss also gazes into you\"

Friedrich Nietzche

Originally posted by stflook

If you want to have it send the name as a default and leave a checkbox or something to submit anonymous points, that would be fine.
    That would probably be a good idea...or as was posted in the other thread
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=119593 to have a system where more antipoints are given dependant on whether the name is given or not .

The main reason that i posted this was because i hadn't actually seen other posts on the topic
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.

Re: my-post_stable-v1.1 :D

A slight modification/clarification to my post above.

I agree that disclosure of any kind may make thie Anit-Point system less an honest form of feedback. Perhaps a mandatory blurb about assigning negative Anti-Points /* do I misunderstand Anti-points? I am under the impression that Anti-points can be + or - */ is a little excessive and would make some members who would have otherwise given negative points hold back.

I suppose that I just like to see a comment when I get any points whether + or -. I suppose + points are an ego thing, and - points are an ego thing to `why did you think my post sucked donkey?' and the like.

Maybe a more sane way is to say 'If you are going to give points + or - *Please* give a bit O' feedback along with them".

Besides, if someone is just being a jerk, I am not sure I want an ambiguous thing like :{bARf}: or BlecH or NhgJAS!!!!!!! in the comment just cause the person Had to enter something.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Got some more antipoints today....thank god they were balance points, because i was being criticised for my posts here.

However i just have 1 final (promise) thing to say regarding antipoints.....if balance points are given, would it at least be possible to see which way they were intended to go...be it negative or positive so taht at least you can tell wether people liked the post or not, even if they can't actaully harm/benefit your antipoints total?

The only reason i ask is because i have recieved several balance points that have had no message and so i don't know whether people liked/agreed with or disliked/disagreed with my posts.

if you want to give people antipoints and you want them to know who you are, just put your name in the comments box. duh. if you do, others will likely follow.

-havanger
    Do it now and ask for forgiveness later

Token drunken Irish guy
    Thats not really the point Havanger, I think they are reffering to everytime you give antipoints youre name appears no matter what.

I think people can figure out how to let people know it's you.

Banned
    we have been through the whole AntiPoint thing a bunch of times guys, go read other threads!

Originally posted by Ennis
    I think people can figure out how to let people know it's you.
    Ok so arguements accepted. Just 1 more little thing though, does anyone else have a problem trying to decide whether balance points they were given were meant to be positive or negative, if there is no comment then how are we meant to know whether people agree with what we are saying or not?