• Sun Solaris

0 0%
  • Free BSD

4 25.00%
  • Other

2 12.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Distribution

hmm me is a fan of free bsd but as was pointed out above it isn't a linux distro anyway me chose debian cause of it's easy costimisation in install... but me likes slackwear aswell.
    01010111 01101001 01110010 01100101 01100100

Originally posted by petemcevoy
    You like having lilo on a floppy?
    Hell yes, it's quick and reliable, I used to put lilo on another partition then copy the bootsector, modify boot.ini etc etc, far too long and boring, lilo on a floppy suits me just fine.
    J.

mmm, quick and reliable - not quite the words i'd use to describe floppy disks ;-)

I have /never/ had a problem with lilo in the mbr - i've tried other methods but, being lazy as i am, i find it easier just to accept the default. If floppy's work for you though - its all good.

I've only run into problems with Lilo in the mbr when NT or XP is already hogging the spot, I've only seen Mandrake negotiate my set-up and that was a while back, I had a multi-boot system of Win98, Win 2k pro, Win 2k Adv Server & NT Server.
    I looked at Mandrake recently and found that whilst it's easy to install, it does tend to put things in the wierdest of places hence my latest install is with Suse.
    J.

I'm dual booting NT4 and debian at the moment - lilo slotted in the mbr no probs, have heard stories though - maybe i'm just lucky! I used mandrake for a while but, like you, found it put things where i didn't really want want them - i like the fine granular control debian gives - it doesn't assume as much as mandrake seemed to.

Banned

Talking Forever Caldera!

I like Caldera. But, RedHat is better, and the first distro I ever used like 5 years ago is Slackware. All distro's are good. I can't choose one :P

Corel. Gotta love the penguin!
    Those who are awake all live in the same world.
    Those who are asleep live in their own worlds. -Heraclitus

All Your Base!

FreeBSD or Mandrake... Mandrake is nice and easy 2 use but FreeBSD is more security-minded
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

Cool

Ive used Mandrake 8.0 and winlinux 2000 before. Ill give you one guess on which one I like better.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19