Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For all you hackers out there...

Talking For all you hackers out there...

I was just wondering what kind of hacker you classify yourself as, black hat, white hat, grey hat, uber...etc?

RedHat [Linux 5.2]

Well, thats what I "hack" most... even though I don't have RHLinux installed on anything at the moment.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

I dunno. I ain't much of a hacker but I suppose I could be one of these kinds? http://www.geekculture.com/geekcultu...tore/caps.html

=)

I'm still working on my programming and such and there is always something new to learn. We're all a newbie in some shape or form.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

hehe

MsMittens that is a funny link. I didn't even know any vendor sold geek wear(knowingly anyway).

http://www.thinkgeek.com

they also have some cool 'gear'

Cool

If I had to be classified, it would be as a "I hack so poorly that I would go to jail for something stupid" Hacker. I cant hack. However I have a great interest in computer programming, networking, and peripherals. I currently have an Associate Degree with a major in Computer Information Systems, and am working on my Bachelors. The teachers never taught us anything on how to hack, although we were able to easily create programs that could completely screw up a system in my advanced Visual Basic class.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Re: struct (get_hat, &color);

I am a fledgling *nix hacker (6 years in the making). I don't use the term `hacker' to describe the act of testing/abusing security issues. It has a long tradition of meaning `enlightened code fu skill' in the Unix world and even before that. In fact the term was first used in an issue of Popular Electronics ages before Unix to describe some engineers who had managed to shrink the components of their super computer by half every year while boosting computing power and lowering electrcity usage.

MIT was using that term back in the 50's to describe their most gifted researchers. Linus Trovalds is revered as a Hacker because he essentially took the most difficult path to enlightenment, the re-write of a Unix like OS from scratch.

I am not busting on you for using it that way, I am just saying that it is not the way I use it.

By the way my hat is blue and has an Intel logo spoof that says 'Open Source Inside'
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

||Learner Hacker||

What type of hacker am I? I am a learner.

If I had to be classified, it would be as a "I hack so poorly that I would go to jail for something stupid" Hacker. -ThePreacher
    HahAHhaHahA!!! (Let's hope he doesn't find out that it is prison and he may go for life!)

Re: For all you hackers out there...

Originally posted by SolidPez
    I was just wondering what kind of hacker you classify yourself as, black hat, white hat, grey hat, uber...etc?
    First i would class myself as more of a computer defender more than an attacker. So that would probably be white hat, in fact the last actual hacking i did was ages ago into a system that i was actually asked to test .

However i would like to amiably disagree with UberC0der's interpretation of a hacker, i would class it as most security people now do, a person skilled enough to break into a computer, and wise enough to leave it alone or tell the admin. But then again thats just my personal preference.
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.

I would have to class myself as a Phacker, yep you guess it a programmer. But not a skript Kidde, I understand the way of the force and don'nt need little programs to do it for me.