Thread: ZoneAlarm question

ZoneAlarm question

Fairly often, a pop-up with show up saying that an unauthorized outside source tried to access my computer and it displays an ip. I was just wondering, is this an intruder. I know that it sometimes is, but is it always an intruder trying to access my system? Or are there other reasons for this message to occur?

No, not all of them are intruders or attempted attacks. I don't know exactly what ZoneAlarm Logs, so I couldn't tell you what they might be. You can turn the pop-up feature off if you want to. One thing that is very possible is that you have a program that you have set to not allow connections to the internet, and it tries to connect, or something tries to connect to it.

oh..ok thx for your help.

sometimes it is just the web site trying to log your ip adress

Originally posted by skullen
    sometimes it is just the web site trying to log your ip adress
    No, I don't believe that to be true. I have never had ZoneAlarm alert me when a web site tries to log my IP address.

if your worried about it, open a dos prompt by typing "command in the "run" box. then you can find out who it is by typing ping -a <ipadderss> at the prompt.
    There's also a freeware program called sam spade from samspade.org which will give you all kinds of info.

i have found most of those pop-ups to be just background noise as it were...usually a server you just accessed in some way that is sending something your way, almost never an actual attempted break in of any kind...besides, when ZA pop's those up it also sais something about how your computer is in "stealth mode" or something...in other words, it didnt allow any kind of response to be sent back that would indicate there was even a computer which existed at your ip.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

if your worried about it, open a dos prompt by typing "command in the "run" box. then you can find out who it is by typing ping -a <ipadderss> at the prompt.
    you can also go here and download the zone alarm tool. when you open it you can click on the whois button and it will try to do a search for you. This program was created by one of our own members, Simon Templer. It works pretty good.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]