Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the most powerful programming language?

By reading your posts...I got the impression that Assembly is a B*tch to learn...so I'll heed your advice (most people's adivce anyway) and go with C++ for power,flexibility,mobility...

Assembly isn't that hard, but C/C++ code is far more "readable".

if(a == 4)
    {
    do something
    }

which is in C++, is easier to understand for someone that doesn't know either language than

MOV AX,A
    MOV BX,4
    CMP AX,BX
    JZ DOSOMETHING
    JMP ENDOFDOSOMETHING
    DOSOMETHING:
    <does domething>
    ENDOFDOSOMETHING:
    <keeps on with the rest of the program>

which is in Assembly. And it's quite shorter too. But once you get used to them, both the languages can be unserstood as well as reading english
    Q: Why do ducks have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out forest fires

Q: Why do elephants have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out flaming ducks

However for someone to be able to really do something with your piece of assembly code, you'd have to specifiy for which processor/instruction set it is coded...

Ammo

Originally posted by SolidPez
    By reading your posts...I got the impression that Assembly is a B*tch to learn...so I'll heed your advice (most people's adivce anyway) and go with C++ for power,flexibility,mobility...
    Yup, it can be a bitch to learn, and re-learn for every platform... And also, building anything of substance in asm means attrociously, painfully long hours of coding and incredibly difficult time re-reading, debugging and mainting the code..

In other words, nobody writes whole programs in asm anymore; that's why 3rd and 4th generation languages have been invented... Most of the time, asm will be used to code a specific alogrithm that will be used inside a 3rd/4th GL...

Ammo

This is probably an unpopular way to learn programming, but the first "language" I learned was Pascal. Not powerful, not flexible, barely even useful. However in it's simplicity it teaches very basic elements of programming that make learning other, more powerful, languages much easier and faster. Now I prefer c++, but I also deal with VB because of it's easy integration with m$ products.

When talking about programing languages, flexibility=power. In any case, hex tears up any language, but who really uses hex anymore except for sub-programming.
    A buttered piece of bread always lands butter side down;
    A cat always lands on its feet;
    A cat with a buttered piece of bread strapped to its back hovers feet above the ground in a state of quantum indecision

a combination of C , C++ , Assembly will be a guided missile with atomic warhead. ready to strike anywhere...

intruder...

Thumbs up

"Powerful" is a term that can mean opposite
    things in programming.
    In a high level language, a single statement
    can invoke huge library routines
    and accomplish impressive things.
    This is powerful.
    In assembly language, you can write
    the subroutines that touch and intimately
    control hardware, manipulate individual
    bits etc.
    This too is powerful.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

the all powerful Pascal.

Thank you. Don't applaud, just throw money.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I use c/c++, perl, and assembly,
    these three get my vote,
    java sounds like a good one too, but i've never looked into it