Thread: Closing unwanted open ports?

Question Closing unwanted open ports?

Hey
    Ive just been portscanning myself, and found many open ports, of which most i dont want open, including my netbios one. i am scannign all ports 1-65000, and its up to around 15000 now. Already, these are the ports that are open: (Please, dont use this info to do anything against me, im telling this to give ppl an idea)
    79(finger), 139 (netbios), 666(unknown), 5401 (excerpt search queue [??]), 5402, and one more i know is a trojan which im about to get rid of...

is there anyway i can close ports i dont want open? i have the Tiny Personal Firewall. I can find no option for closing ports off.

Please help, i g2g now but ill be back tomorrow. thanks in advance, bye
    YOU\'RE JUST JEALOUS CUZ THE VOICES ARE TALKING TO ME!

Well, you can't *close* the ports, per se, you can only BLOCK people from getting to them. This should be pretty easy with Tiny, just go to Firewall Administration, Advanced, Add New Rule, and disallow any communication with the local port. (TCP or UDP).

In order to 'close' the ports, you have to terminate the running programs that are using them, in this case, any trojans on your computer. I would suggest trying either The Cleaner (www.moosoft.com) or Tauscan (www.agnitum.com), which are trojan-scanner-and-remover programs.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

List of all port number assignments

Common Trojan ports

btw port 666 is usually satanz backdoor!

Thanks for both of them. However, i dont know what programs are using those ports, ill have a look later and see what the programs i usually have open (eg irc, msn, sometimes icq/aol) are using. As for the satan trojan, ill get the client and test myself...thanks.
    YOU\'RE JUST JEALOUS CUZ THE VOICES ARE TALKING TO ME!

Arrow hey

ENNIS has an excellent link for info too in the firewall help post sry (im lazy typist)

see what trojans are utilizing what ports at>>>

http://www.commodon.com/threat/threat-ports.htm