Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compiling under Redhat 7.2

Aww shucks MsMittens, now you've made me feel bad, you're like the sober yin to my fiery yang ;-)
    I had /similar/ problems with a friends mandrake install - it steadfastly refused to install gcc, and an app he wanted didn't have an RPM, in the end i gave up and stuck red hat 6.2 on, which was fine when i gave it the critical security updates.
    Anyways evilseed, why not stick with debian -
    apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.13 (or whatever)
    apt-get install kernel-headers-2.2.13
    ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.2.13 /usr/src/linux

Re: getting warmer

Being a long time OS of the evilseed amongst us, the Linux kernel is becoming both more secure inbound and outbound.

You will find that nslookup and the kernel header files you mentioned amongst others are deprecated.

The 2.2.x kernels were the last that offered the raw uncensored <network nasty> options so many are fond of.

anyway, go to http://www.kernel.org and get the source for the kernel that you want and rebuild it. An early 2.4.x kernel may also do the trick if you are concerned about running the 2.2.x series.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Angry OMFG

So your telling me LINUX distro's are taking out network nasty stuph?

wtf?

i just lost a lil respect for linux ..

------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

well..

hmm.... ok...

apparently linux is becoming more and more like windows..

sad but true...
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

Re: sort of

Basic idea is that the kernel is evolving rapidly and some of the IDS patches are being included. Your program /*does't have to be an exploit*/ is calling on deprecated header files during `make'.

Unfortunately this is going to happen to some programs of various kinds while the Linux kernel goes through this evolution.
    /* happened frequently between kernel 1.x.x and 2.x.x */

Best thing to do is either hand edit the makefile or use newer programs that call on current header files during `make'.

Of course as I said above /* but not clearly */ you could always run an older version of the kernel, that would solve some of your problems.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.