Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiling under Redhat 7.2

Arrow Compiling under Redhat 7.2

OK!

I installed redhat 7.2 on one of my boxes.

I attempted to compile a few programs.
    I noticed that Redhat 7.2 is missing a few files..

First Protocols.h

secondly udp_pack.h

and a few others..

Now I am sure I know why the redhat distro removed these files.. First off it disables the compilation of many exploits... (Now I was attempted to compile an enhanced version of PING.. (And NO not the ping of death) hahah.. Im serious it does a ping packet send with a relay..

How the F#$K do i get protocols.h
    and UDP_pack.h and the other crud that is missing..

(And yes i installed all the development crap that came with redhat..)

If anyone knows as much to where i can download these files that would be great..

BTW... I got my program to compile but i had to use slackware distro..
    so n e ways.. anyone have any good info on this?
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

What ?

No one wanting to help me?
    ------------EViLSEED

Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong. I THINK those header files are located in the kernel source tree. Even if you installed "all of the development crap," you may still need to reinstall the Kernel source. Some distributions don't install a proper kernel tree image and I think RedHat is one of them. Good luck.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

i agree with gaxprels, re-install the kernel
    \"I am convinced that societies which live without government enjoy an infinitely greater degree of happiness than those who do.\" Thomas Jefferson

and how do i go about doing this?
    ------------EViLSEED

Uhmm.. Well.. lets help in the windows forums but not the linux forum... please.. i need help.. i need these files... I wanna take slackware off my damned laptop. so how do i get redhat to compile correctly.
    ------------EViLSEED

Why do you need more help - you've got your answer, do you need step by step instructions? How have you managed to work with debian and slackware if you don't know where to put the kernel source?

Hi

find / usr/include -name protocols.h ?
    ever try something like that ?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

evilseed,

If I may add my school's experience so far with Red Hat 7.2 by one of the other instructors (I've decided not to touch it with a ten foot pole at this point). The reason why I suggest this is that perhaps Red Hat didn't install everything? I know that on 7.0 they screwed up the glibc (and for the life of me, I cannot force it to install the updates!):

Obviously, this install is on a laptop.
    - Install went well but shortly after, I found that it hung in the GUI (GNOME and KDE) after being up for a few minutes. It didn't matter if I launched an app or just left it alone.
    - RH Support recommended an anaconda patch that seemed to fix this hanging problem.
    - Problem came back so I tried an install without the new Journalling system(ext3). No difference.
    - Tried another install with ext3 and it hung in a login loop when I logged out of the GUI.
    - Rebooted and ran fsck manually on it.
    - On reboot (remove power and battery...again) the whole filesystem was corrupted. Directories that held boot scripts were now ASCII and binary "files" (booted through the rescue CD to find this as it could not even load the kernel).
    - Did another install and it added services I did not ask for (mail server, NFS server and some others) which I had to manually remove from the boot scripts after multiple hangs and fsck checks (that took 2 nights). Sendmail would not only just sleep when it couldn't detect a DHCP server, it would freeze the laptop.
    - All the while, I could not shut down or reboot. The APM daemon would never turn off my laptop and I had to pull the battery for any of the above to start again.
    - RH service just kept telling me to try things that I already informed them that I had tried (sigh).
    - All the while, I was subscribed to the RH 7.2 (code name "enigma", how apropos) mailing list and I was appalled at the amount of complaints (in the hundreds). Many subscribers were jumping ship on RH and comparing it to the initial release of Win 95. Personally, Win 95 was a lot better.
    - They removed Linuxconf, the global config tool, which we have an extensive module on. The replacement suite of tools are really hard to find.
    - There is absolutely no HOWTOs or documentation on the new ext3 journalling filesystem anywhere to be found that I have been able to dig up.
    - They also removed my favourite game, xgammon. The nerve!

It seems that RH 7.2 has been rushed to market and the default kernel (an odd number release) probably is unstable too. This is the worse Linux I have come across, ever. I only hope it doesn't become too public or RedHat is in for a beating (they are, after all, the Microsoft of the Linux world).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi

It seems that RH 7.2 has been rushed to market and the default kernel (an odd number release) probably is unstable too. This is the worse Linux I have come across, ever. I only hope it doesn't become too public or RedHat is in for a beating (they are, after all, the Microsoft of the Linux world).

this is not the case 2.4.7 is an even number thus meant to be
    a stable kernel.
    2.3.7 would be a devel kernel so would 2.5.7
    however it seems to work fine with 2.4.14