Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I run Linux &....

Re: vindO's und Linux

Yes dual booting can be done quite easily.

You will want Win* to be the first OS on the disk, then partition with something like Partition Magic. Once your partitions are set up, stick you Linux CD in the drive and reboot. To get a working Boot manager you have two choices.

a) Intsall LILO to the MBR when asked where you want it to go.

This will make Windows ( /dev/hda1) and Linux (/dev/hda2) options to boot from the LILO bot menu.

b) As long as you are *not* running a Windows install with NTFS files system, you can use Boot Magic (part of partition magic install). Once Linux is installed, and LILO is installed on the / or /boot partition, you can reboot into Windows ( via Boot Magic), and select Linux as a bootable partition.

// if you choose this option you will need to have boot magic installed before you attempt to install Linux.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

AntiOnline Senior Member

There is one version of Linux that runs with Windows without a partition. PhatLinux I beleive.

http://www.phatlinux.com/ (I think that is the site...)

Phat Linux isn't the only one. I already mentioned two that don't require you to repartition. ZipSlack and Dragon Linux. You just follow the installation directions, reboot into DOS mode and run loadlin or whatever batch file they have that does it for you...

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

Unhappy

Originally posted by petemcevoy

What are you talking about here?

It appears I got my FDISK and LILO mixed up. I apologize for any confussion. Time for me to "LILO" for a little while, me thinks..

np, and nice comeback too ;-)

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Originally posted by gaxprels
    Phat Linux isn't the only one. I already mentioned two that don't require you to repartition. ZipSlack and Dragon Linux. You just follow the installation directions, reboot into DOS mode and run loadlin or whatever batch file they have that does it for you...

Happy Hacking
    Sorry I somehow missed that in my earlier post...