Thread: Creating a bootable CD.....

Question Creating a bootable CD.....

I've recently downloaded the iso files for RedHat 7.2
    I burned them onto cd's in the iso format. The problem is that I can not boot from the cd. I know how to make a bootdisk and tried that method but I want to create a bootable CD.

Anyone out there know how to make a CD bootable?
    And yes I have turned on the feature in BIOS to boot from the cd-rom drive.

Use Roxio

Make a boot floppy before you do anything (this comes in later so keep reading). If you have Roxio Easy CD Creator you can go to File->New CD Project-> Bootable CD. Then it will ask you to insert the disk where the boot files are (hence the boot floppy) it will copy them into the project. After they are copied add the iso to the project and burn burn away and it should work just fine.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

depends on what software your burning with, the ones ive used(both of them} had an option in them to " make cd bootable" but thats going to be booting to the operating system your burning on. I think its in recording options, its not set up here at home.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thats strange, have you got any other bootable CD's to boot on your machine? if the ISO burns 100% Ok and you've checked the validity of the ISO image your burning from there shouldn't be a problem, as far as I understand it, you can't modify an ISO image to include another boot image, first thing I'd check is the size and check digits of your image, it seems that the problem lies there.
    Of course it would be quicker to download the floppy cd boot disk image and boot from floppy in order to get started quicker.

Jamie.

Red hat have a known problem with booting ide devices on cable select, if you're using cable select then you should swap your jumpers around to disable it.
    For the record it seems like red hat 7.2 is a buggy pile of ****, why not try another distro till they get thier act together - i'd recommend debian.

Does your box boot up from cdrom/floppy? I mean what are your BIOS settings?

You're not reading the posts -
    And yes I have turned on the feature in BIOS to boot from the cd-rom drive