Thread: Configuring Win2000server As Router

Configuring Win2000server As Router

i have three intel machines at home..two of them (one named scorpion and the other named star ) run win2000 professional..the third (named 2000server) runs win2000server...
    2000server has two network cards(one is 192.168.0.1 and the other is 192.168.1.1)..the address of scorpion is 192.168.0.2
    and that of star is 192.168.1.2...i have enabled routing on 2000server..i am able to ping star from scorpion and so also he other way..i can even telnet into star from scorpion and also telnet into scorpion from star..the computer names ,scorpion and star ,shows up in the network places of 2000server..but i cannot get the name scorpion on star's network places nor can i get star in scorpion's network places...i cannot also map scorpion's drive into star..i hope someone could show me the way to get the problem sorted..

I think the problem that you are having is with the way that windows browses the network for other computers. It will not browse accross a router(without some help). Try enabling the WINS service on your 2000 server, and then point the machines on each subnet to the 2000server in their network properties(or on the server under the dhcp settings if you are using dhcp). This should force the 2000 pro machines to look at the server for netbois name resolution.

Good luck

Hey Scorpion,
    Did you give up on linux then?
    Out of curiousity, why do you want 2 different subnets? It would certainly make things easier if you had all nic's on 192.168.0.*.
    If thats out of the question, you might want to look at lmhosts - here's the beasts advice - http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q150/8/00.asp

DOH, why didnt I think of that...

LMHOSTS file is probably the best/easiest way to deal with your problem Scorpion....

I just didnt think of it cause I usually avoid it like the plague, but if you only have 3 machines, it will be great...