Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does internet explorer 5.5 crash so much?

Why does internet explorer 5.5 crash so much?

I have win2k and I get a message all the time saying explorer has generated some errors and you need to restart the program. It happens several times a day. What is causing this.

Web de web

Am not sure there but if you go to the microsluz update site

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

u can get sorted out there me thinks or also upgrade to é6.

Is it explorer or internet explorer causing the errors?

Could be that little guy inside your computer with a hammer

(Midgets are taking over ya know)

Nah seriously...no idea you might need a patch for it

Shmoo
    Upgrade to IE6 a word of advice though

when you download it, it's not just gonna be an executabe its going to act like a client. So be connected to the internet if your not...its going to wipe out all of the favorites.

Originally posted by Shmoo
    Upgrade to IE6 a word of advice though

when you download it, it's not just gonna be an executabe its going to act like a client. So be connected to the internet if your not...its going to wipe out all of the favorites.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with that. IE6 is a new version and likely to have bugs in it. I'm running the beta version (about to upgrade), and I will say that it's not perfect. I think your best bet would be to upgrade to the SP2 release of IE5.5. If that doesn't work, or you already have the SP2 release, then try upgrading to 6 and see what happens.

Lightbulb

Using M$ Wintel can not allways be avoided (when u work as a sysop like me @ a huge company) but when used, try using alternatives to their products. Like Netscape for browsing and communicator for e-mailing.

Banned
    It is crashing because Microsoft made the product. j/k

I'm pretty serious in my endorsement of Opera. I have yet to have it fail me, except *once*, when it started up and wouldn't finish whatever it did at the loading screen. I ran some monitoring tools and it was just trying to clean out my cache. I guess I must've gotten some weird file in there with a filename that had invalid characters or something, deleting the cache files from DOS finally did it. (Windows explorer delete didn't work.)

Actually, that makes it windows' problem! Yippee.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Explorer has allways been a good one in CRACHING!
    the thing is the bar with the start button and the desktop is explorer and if you surf the net it's handling:
    1. you'r browsing on the net
    2. you'r start button and all visable running programs
    3. you'r Active or non Active desktop...
    so if it get's an error it prompts "restart me i'm instable help me pleas oooh no it's soooo dark help meee billy you created me heeelp" and so on....
    and if the error is 2 critical explorer cracheZ!
    1. internet explorer
    2. you'r desktop
    3. you'r start button
    4. any open window like browsing you'r HDD....

the thing i did 2 prevent this whas 2 run a nother browser 2 surf the net i used netscape if it craches it's ONLY going 2 be NETSCAPE closed...
    hope this helpz...

and finaly a big 2 microsoft the more code u have... bigger chanse of a bug! the more use of a single code u have... the bigger chans of unstability when used a LOT!