Thread: random spawning windows files

random spawning windows files

you know what i love.... the fact that windows is randomly spawning files with no extenion onto my c: drive..... not there yesterday.... there today. here's the name of the latest: t3vvc4hr.

nice huh? i love micro$oft. does anyone else have this problem?

Hi mom!
    Where are they spawned? What's in them? What processes do you have running in the background? (etc. etc.)

Could it be a virus?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Re: random spawning windows files

Originally posted by lord_darkside_x
    you know what i love.... the fact that windows is randomly spawning files with no extenion onto my c: drive..... not there yesterday.... there today. here's the name of the latest: t3vvc4hr.

Hate to say this, that's not normal. The only thing put on the root of c: is log files and usually only 2 of them. If you are getting these, then
    [list=1][*]An installed program is doing this[*]A virus[*]A hacker[*]Microsoft[*]The boogie man [/list=1]

Scan for viruses first, if none are found, check for trojans, strange installed services or programs using the root as a dump for tmp files.

Hi mom!
    Check your configs. Make sure you haven't set any temp folders to strange dirs or root. Usually, you want to SET TEMP=c:\windows\temp\ or something. Try to kick as much out of auto-startup, and reboot to see if any of those processes are spawning the files...

If you delete the files, are there programs complaining about not being able to read/write to file? Can you delete the files without windows complaining about 'these files being in use' ? ...

i already have very simple configs.... my system runs perfectly except for that stupid file. it isn't a hacker. i am very aware of that sort of activity. the file is zero bytes. i am sure it is nothing of importance.

*Just a side note.... i know of many people who have complained of this same problem*

Re: random spawning windows files

Originally posted by lord_darkside_x
    you know what i love.... the fact that windows is randomly . here's the name of the latest: t3vvc4hr.

"A friend of mine" had the EXACT same problem. It appeared after downloading and installing Norton Anti-Virus 2001 from a WaReZ site..

rofl