Thread: Losing my DHCP assigned IP

Losing my DHCP assigned IP

Hi there. Recently I've been having problems with my local isp's dhcp servers. For some reason, my firewall (tiny pf) is causing me to lose my ip address. I get the following error in my event viewer (I have a win2k box using tiny firewall) after I turn on tiny:

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxx. The following error occured:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

After I receive this errror 9 times over the course of exactly 30 minutes, I get the following error:

Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address xx.xx.xx.xx on the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Now, this is really pissing me off. Also, as a side note, my outlook is not able to get through my firewall. I have not changed anything or any rules in the last two weeks yet all of a sudden it stops working.

Any ideas? I'm lost!

Re: Losing my DHCP assigned IP

Originally posted by Stronzo
    Hi there. Recently I've been having problems with my local isp's dhcp servers. For some reason, my firewall (tiny pf) is causing me to lose my ip address.
    I had a problem running a DHCP server on a computer with a firewall... I had set the firewall to trust anything with an IP on the local 90.0.0.xxx network, but the clients weren't able to GET their IP in the first place! Since I only have two or three other computers, I added their hardware MAC addresses to the trusted list.

The reason you get all these messages is because your computer tries to renew it's lease as time goes on, and after a while it gives up. I would try making a rule to allow your computer to send packets to the bootstrap protocol port (DHCP is built on that) on your ISP's DHCP server... I think it was port 68.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

You could try turning the firewall off then on again after you're connected. If that doesnt work, try Terr's advice.

Ive noticed often many connection attempts and the like time out when a fireall brings up a confirm window...this *may* have some effect on this connection.
    YOU\'RE JUST JEALOUS CUZ THE VOICES ARE TALKING TO ME!