Thread: networking

networking

howdy,

the subject says "newbies ask your questions here" so here am I.

anyway, i'm 22, i'm a full time student at a tech school for computer networking. I'm getting really bored with the lame **** i've been doing for fun in class. we're running windows 2k, 10baseT network w/ NON switching hub (peice of ****), anyway, we're using netbeui for the class workgroup, and tcp/ip to connect to the internet via the hub that goes to a router from the server in the back, (DSL), anyway, i wanna know how i can get into the computers in the other class rooms through the hubs, routers, etc,

i'm pretty into this ****, so if any of you could at least give me a hint about some of this ****, i'd be very grateful.

thanx

-blitzkrieg

I'm tired, but I'll try...

I'm slightly confused about your details *possibly because I've been awake too long* but here goes....

NetBEUI isn't routable so even if the computer rooms are connected via the router there isn't a way for you to connect to a computer in the other room...

Here's your hint: If your using TCP/IP to connect to the internet, all of the computer must have IP addresses.
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

dude

hey,
    about the router thing....

dude, i know all the computers have IP addresses, i have everyone's memorized. and we don't use dhcp, so the IP's are always the same,

so.... knowing all these ip's, what can i do?

p.s.... can you tell me anything about any backdoors to win2k?

thanx!

-blitzkrieg

Well, knowing ip's isnt always important for router communication. Having the server, router/switch/bridge hostname is the best way to go. Using Telnet, you can access the router and server options successfully(if you have login permissions), and from there you could use the file sharing properties to the specific computers. Now what you haven't explained is what exactly you want to be able to do with computer in other rooms.........its kinda limited to what you can do remotely.

blitzkrieg,
    Have you tried pinging one of the computers in the other rooms?

If you get a response from them, then you know that there is a physical connection and you may be able to access one of the other computers...

If you don't then I'd find something else to keep you entertained...

As for the backdoors to Windows 2K.. I'd tell you, but I think you should learn for yourself.... nah, I'm just bluffin' there.. I don't know.....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Talking

i agree with matty...if the ping works then ....u have the path into the other computers...

also u can try using command nbtstat -n which will give u the file sharing status....on the network...and then u have to look for port...<20> that means....that particular machine..has the file sharing enabled....then there are ways...u can connect or take over the computer.....but that u have to learn man...

intruder....

DUDE

oh, i know how to take control, and i've already hella ****ed with the computers on my lan in the classroom, i guess you'd call it like uh.... remote administration........ or something...(duh).

some of the dudes were hella dumb and didn't put passwords on their workstations, from there i used the NET USE command, and logged on their **** as administrator, mapped their drives, and you can guess the rest.

am i on the right track?

i'll use nbtstat, thanks!

Tsk tsk. I would point out that I think the administration would frown upon anything malicious...

In the long run it is much better to get into a nice understanding relationship with your administrator. If you give them a few vulnerabilities you found to fix, they probably won't mind quite as much if you do some exploring. On the other hand, if they catch you in the midst of somethin nefarious once, they'll never trust you again...

I would suggest checking your local library for a TCP/IP book (probably on the MCSE certification.) It can help with a lot of windows networking stuff. (Netbios, for instance.)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

oh, i know how to take control, and i've already hella ****ed with the computers on my lan in the classroom, i guess you'd call it like uh.... remote administration........ or something...(duh).
    Browsing/using network shares is not called remote administration, you're not administering the machine - just using your pc to access another pc's hard drive, you can't execute a file on the remote pc this way (directly).
    You say you're at tech to learn networking, and some of the other "dudes" were "hella dumb" not to put passwords on thier network shares, are you sure they're not paying closer attention to the curriculum then you are in your feeble attempts to seem l33t? Why don't you concentrate on learning the stuff they're trying to teach you rather then hella ****ing with other students workstations.

dude, i have plenty of time, and i only have fun when i'm done studying, and i don't try this **** when he's lecturing, i have respect. and i didn't say mapping drives was remote administration, i was talking about telnet actually, and netbus, blah blah blah. the other guys are into the same ****. but see, netbus doen't tell me anything, it doesnt teach me how it works, that's why i'm bored. i have permission from my teacher to do anything i like as long as i'm learning, he just wants in on it. (old hacker). he told me how netbus worked, , downloading programs other people have written doesn't make me any smarter, doesn't teach me anything. I'm going to this school for networking, and i won't even get into the network+ section of the schooling until my last 2 months. this a+ stuff is crap i already know. so like.... umm... LATER!

-bk