Thread: Sun Sparcstation & Linux

Question Sun Sparcstation & Linux

Hi, I've come to know this site, because, the company where I work is now thinking about security measures. So, I've read a few posts on this foruns, and a few articles out there about security, and just installed red hat 7.2 at home to start learning something about this matter, wich I think it's a world of it own inside the world of computers.

So, anyway, now i have a linux box at home, and was thinking to install it at work too, the problem is that we have a Sun Sparcstation 5, that's pulled in a corner and I was thinking to use it for linux. The problem is that besides i386 hardware i don't understand nothing, so I don't know what version of linux to install, do I need to install the Solaris software that came with the box (v 2.5.1), or can i install another distribution? I've searched Red Hat for SPARC releases but coudn't find anything. Can I install the Alpha release or that is for a different arquitecture?

Sorry about some spelling errors... I'm Portuguese.

Thanks to all for your help.

Ny, Com esta?
    You have Linux distro's for Sparc, I beleive SuSe has one.
    Or you can install OpenBSD on it.

Red hat stopped developing thier sparc version at 6.2 afaik, but you can still download the 6.2 sparc release - http://www.linuxiso.org/redhat.html

Thumbs up Re: SPARC's are nice :D

For SPARC's check out SUSE (they are actively supporting SPARC arch.). Slackware has come out with a SPARC release if that distro interests you. A god place to get a look at the current Distro's is http://www.distrowatch.com , they keep very up to date on what each Distro is/is not doing, and would be a good place to check.

btw, Alpha's and SPARC's are not the same, be sure and get a SPARC install if that it what you want to run it on.

hope this helped.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Lightbulb Thanks

Sure it helps, Thanks!

Well, I dunno what distro is best for me (I'm a linux newbie), but I'll have a look, maybe you can give me a suggestion...

Well, thanks again for your help...

I would say go for SuSe, altough Solaris is an option (if your company will pay).

Smile

Well, I think i'll go for SuSe..

Thanks to all for you help....

You've been a great help... thx