Thread: Messenger ??

Messenger ??

Hi,
    This may seem to be a lame query but I really need to get this done..This problem is as follows :

In my schools computer lab, the Admin has done something to the computers which makes it impossible for us to install any Messenger client...Everything gets downloaded allright but when I try to install it....it either says I do not have permission to instll this software or another error which says ""mmclient.exe not found ". The machines in our lab all run Win2000.

I would be really grateful if anyone of you could tell me the way around this....

Zombies

Live Life KingSize !

you'll have to use a java based chat program. the admin has obviously locked down installing software. aol has one called aol quick buddy.
    aim java based quick buddy

Ok this is how it works at my school the same thing happens, were not allowed to download off the net.

Ok so you get that little box that pops up with 3 choices 1, open 2.save , 3 is cancel. Hit the open box and it will download. Once it's open save it to a file on your harddrive. MOve all of the setup files into another one. Then do a restart and you will notice that the original file dissapeared but the one you moved is still there.

I would be very carefull when doing somthing the admin doesn't like. The admin is trying to make the computer lab as secure as possible and by installing IRC,MEsssenger programs it takes away that security. Also if you know not to download programs like if they made an annoncement then you might be introuble. It could get you kicked out of the lab. lol.

Well hope it helps

Re: Messenger ??

Originally posted by zombies
    either says I do not have permission to instll this software or another error which says ""mmclient.exe not found ". The machines in our lab all run Win2000.
    I dont know much about 2000 Pro and 2000 Server/Adv. Ser, which must be the OS that the Admin is running. BUT if anyone out there has knowledge in this, is that the error msg that pops out when the admin cancels the installation on a global level? I dont know.. but It just looks a bit odd.
    If anyone can input on this, I would be very thankful
    GodZeus101
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

why would you want to use messenger at school?

Thanks for the tips people........But the thing is that all other softwares like kazaa and napster can be downloaded and installed except the messengers..I definately think the registry has to be tinkered with...take care..people....

Zombies
    Live Life KingSize !

Talking

To tell you the truth...Windoze2000 has alot of security lock-downs. I think it will be a good idea not to install anything that you are not supposed to because then you are going to make it hard for other people to be trusted, especially at this moment with the world-occurences. I am not trying to tell you what and what not to do...I am just trying to give you some helpful advice. And yes it does has something to do with the registry. If you ever notice...whenever you install a program that updates your system config...your registry updates as well. One thing admins do to protect the networks is to make sure that no one can get into the registry because anyone with knowledge of gaining root access knows that once you gain registry access...YOU GOT ROOT!!!...Temptation is a mother f#cker...just be careful...the choice is yours...peace.