Thread: Linux And Wine

Linux And Wine

I dont Know How to use wine and i need it to run my windows apps does anyone have some advice and or know how to use it?
    In a world without walls or fences, who needs windows or gates?

I use wine a lot, typically a shiraz sometimes a savignon, depends on my mood. The best way to use it is to open a bottle the drink it steadily until the bottle is empty, can be good to share with friends as well.

Using window$ apps invariably increases my wine intake, perhaps the two are related , so in the future, rather than downloading the latest service pack, I should go straight to my local purveyor of fine wine and take their advice of which plonk will do the job.

Try using IRC and going to

#WineHQ

on

irc.openprojects.net

Go read at WineHQ it supprots quite a few windows apps that will run on Linux.
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.

Re: wine

There is a lot of good stuff on wine out there, and since it is a little more involved than a few quick steps in a reply-post I would recommend doing what the above members said (especially jcdux ) and perhaps a google serach on the specifics of what you want to know how to do.

If you look, you would be surprised at what people figure out how to do and post the instructions on the net for others benefit.

If wine doesn't turn out to be the app for you, try VMware. It runs Windows apps too. the downside is that it is not Free or entirely Open Source. The upside is that you can run just about anything you run in Windows under VMware.

Hope that helped a little.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Re: Re: wine

Originally posted by UberC0der

If wine doesn't turn out to be the app for you, try VMware. It runs Windows apps too. the downside is that it is not Free or entirely Open Source. The upside is that you can run just about anything you run in Windows under VMware.

Hope that helped a little.
    But on a side note, I believe VMware eats up your system resources and processing power as if you *were* running two machines, so if your computer is a wee bit slow, it might not give you the kind of performance you would expect, since part of your cycles are being used for the *nix processes at the same time.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Absolutely true.

You need a pretty healthy amount of RAM and CPU to get away with VMware. If you are not running many processes this is less of a concern, but all the same it is a solution for those addicted to MS based apps. ( no offense intended by the `addicted to MS apps' statement. )
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

wine on linux

If you don't mind re-installing a distro of linux I would recommend Lycoris. It comes with wine already installed and configured. Although Lycoris lacks a few things needed to make life great, (mplayer, blender, misc command line tools) it is a pretty good beginners distro of linux with wine built in. Allowing you to still run some of those WindowZ programs.

www.lycoris.org
    Whats a \"START\" button?