Thread: IP adress- can it be stealth?

IP adress- can it be stealth?

How can I keep my IP adress from showing? I ran a port test and everything came back stealth.. but the ip adress , computer name, and work station group, how can I eliminate that to make it totally stealth?

go to symantec.com and run the tests there...they usually say something like "the IP scanned may be different from your actual IP due to a firewall or proxy", or something like that...if so, your actual IP is disguised by your security...hope this helps

if you scan yourself, your true IP will always show
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

I ran the test and it still show my ip adress and location, whats next? I am running ZoneLabs pro..

The easiest way to do this is to put an actual hardware firewall between yourself and the outside world. For example, I have a cable modem connection that runs through a little Linksys router. As a result, if someone scans me, they see the router but don't see my computer, because the router is running NAT. While it isn't a a "true" hardware firewall, and there are probably ways around this, it does put a physical layer between myself and the rest of the world.
    Some people have a way with words, while others...erm...thingy.

Well, you *can't* really hide your IP address, you can only hide BEHIND another computer, a proxy. If nobody knew your IP, how could you get any information back from websites, etc?

The key is, the PROXY knows your IP address. Everyone else just sends it to the proxy, and they think that is probably you, but they might have a hard time telling that the proxy is actually working for a different computer.

Without a seperate computer running proxy routing software, or a hardware router , you can't really hide your IP address in an effective manner.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Lightbulb

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say...just couldn't spit out the right words...

Originally posted by Terr
    Well, you *can't* really hide your IP address, you can only hide BEHIND another computer, a proxy. If nobody knew your IP, how could you get any information back from websites, etc?

The key is, the PROXY knows your IP address. Everyone else just sends it to the proxy, and they think that is probably you, but they might have a hard time telling that the proxy is actually working for a different computer.

Without a seperate computer running proxy routing software, or a hardware router , you can't really hide your IP address in an effective manner.
    Some people have a way with words, while others...erm...thingy.

the best way in this situation is to use a proxy but proxy have some bad thing about it , its better you look for something like a spoof or something like that

ok, here's what you do.

1) get a real cheap computer. i can get a 486 right now for $20.
    2) install two network cards in it
    3) get a little 4 port network hub
    4) install a really small copy of linux on it. try looking at www.linux.org under their distrobutions page. they usually have something small enough to fit on a 3.5" disk that will work fine.
    5) enable ip forwarding.
    6) setup ipchains however you like it.
    7) enjoy your new router

yes, i know i probably left out a couple steps, but it's not that difficult to figure out. also, sorry for the lack of caps, but i'm a lazy bastard tonight. have fun

NAT
    use linux
    use clarkconnect
    use linksys router (or one like it)
    RTFM
    RTFM
    RTFM
    RTFM
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson