Thread: RH 7.1 shutdown issue

RH 7.1 shutdown issue

I did a quick google search but didnt find an easy answer to this problem....

If I am logged in to my RH 7.1 machine in X, KDE, and I choose logout, I get back to the login prompt. On the login prompt, there is a shutdown button, if I choose shutdown and the select the shutdown option(instead of reboot) It restarts the X server, IF I choose shutdown again it will finally shutdown.

Any one seen this before?

Thanks,

IchNiSan

don't really know, could just be an error in the windowmanager... but why do u log out before u reboot? there's no need to do that.
    The shutdown thing could maybe be caused if the useraccount u normally use when running linux doesn't have the privilige to shutdown the machine... log in as root and the user settings.
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Hrmmm. Could be that. Don't log in as root. Do an su - to switch to root at a terminal window and then do either a shutdown "now" or power off. Either of those would be preferable.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

hmm... now why didnt I think of that.

I am logging in a "normal" user, no special privledges at all.. I guess I just didnt think of opening a console and shutting down as su.

Thanks,

IchNiSan

Are you using `kdm' or `gdm'? I believe that both of these have settings to the effect of controlling if/whch users can halt or reboot the system. You may want to look into how `kdm' or `gdm' (whichever you are using) is configured in this respect.

A couple of other commands to add to MsMittens suggestiona are:

shutdown -h now /* halts the system */

shutdown -r now /* reboots the system */

reboot /* you guessed it */

have a look at `man shutdown' for more spiffy options.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Thanks people.

One funny thing.

I was logged in as a user...

opened a bash shell, switched to super user

typed

shutdown now

and it shutdown the gui, and brought me to a command line....

I waited a while,,, then typed

shutdown now

and it after some scrolling text, it brought me to another command line, labelled single user mode.

so, I typed it one more time... and it worked...

heh.. maybe something wrong with my install?

well, thanks for info, I think I will live with it.

IchNiSan

Red Hat uses Sys V init scripts. Sys V init scripts define 6 different run levels. Each run level brings up or shuts down services depending on what the run level does for the system ( example 6 does a shutdown on all processes and services on it's way to system halt)

It sounds as if just issuing `shutdown now' is kicking you down to the next run level (6 ==> reboot, 5 multiuser ==>, 3 text multiuser ==>, 1 single user ==>, 0 shutdown). This can be configured in more detail via `linuxconf' or /etc/rc.d where you can control what happens in each run level.

/* it is a possibilty that you have an alias defined in root's .bashrc that is causing this behavior, try commenting it out if it's there and you don't want it . look for something like
    alias shoutdown=' value '
    */

Until you figure out why 'shutdown now' just bumps you to the next lower run level, try issuing a more defined command like 'shutdown -h now' to shutdown the system.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

you could type:

init 0

to initialise runlevel 0 (system halt)
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net