Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hey need advise

Find

"The C Programming Language"

By, hmm.... Kernigan and Ritchie I think..

Its a good one.

Re: Start from the basics...

Originally posted by mr_unforgiven
    (I wonder why it is called Basic...hmmmm)
    Actually, "BASIC" is an acronym meaning "Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code"...

As for first language, I'd start with C++. The reason for it is that C++ is a little more easy at first when you make your first "Hello world" programs and stuff because of the string classes that are a little more intuitive to use than dealing with char arrays (nul terminated strings) 'n stuff... And then when you'll become more familiar with the basics (no pun intended!) you can start using the subtilities of pure C... Between, C++ compilers also accept C syntax...

Personaly, I started with C++ (check out the book "C++ How to program, second edition" (maybe third edition now) from Deitel & Deitel)

Ammo

I agree. I learned C++ first now i'm trying to grasp C... They're similar, but C++ makes the basics easier... so learn that first, then go on to C...
    i know it sounds kinda illogical, since C++ is supposed to have been derived from C, but believe me its easier to learn C++ then C, even if C++ has limited use in OS level stuff

i.e. millions of applications will be written in C++, but the best OS's use C.

As a result of that, since most security stuff deals with OS level coding, C is more useful in comp. security, but C++ is (in my opinion) easier to learn first!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

thanks guys

hey guys that for the advise i`ll be sure to start with c++ you know where i can download it from if i dont feel like buying it? any suggestions if something i`ll have to buy it i guess

:eace

If you want to learn deep into programming. Learn Assembly. Yes it require passion to learn, but belive me, it worth.

Re: thanks guys

Originally posted by Ymets2k01
    hey guys that for the advise i`ll be sure to start with c++ you know where i can download it from if i dont feel like buying it? any suggestions if something i`ll have to buy it i guess

:eace
    Well there is M$ Visual C++ , I am not gonna tell you to download it of the net or anything (hold your flames).
    But if you ask me M$ should make their development tools easy/cheap for students to use and right now they aint doing that so borrow it from someone.
    You could spend too much buying a package to learn a language and let's say you don't like it?

Originally posted by UberC0der
    What OS is written in C++?
    I guess I was trying to say C since the two are similar and I get them mixed up.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Cool thread

I can see a total :3pow :shootem getting started over such a thread, but cool all the same.

I like C the best, then a toss up between C++ and Perl.

If you are a *nix guy, I might suggest learning Perl to get that code-fu mentality and some coding under your belt. Then go and learn C so you can do some hard core code spiffiness. C *imho* is the ultimate programming language, but it is one of the more difficult to learn (especially once pointer math comes up )

Do yourself a favor though and start with 'something', knowing how to code comes in very handy.

hahaha I guess I screwed that up. sheeeesh how embarassing.