Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WinXP Advice

The XP firewall is not very good, in my opinion... Its just a simple filter to stop some stuff MS think you don't want. I still run ZoneAlarm Pro in XP

And, as I have been trying to state for some time now - XP PROFESSIONAL does not require product activation AT ALL.

Hope that cleared things up for ya?
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Originally posted by Rewandythal
    Yes, jcdux, what am i supposed to be looking at in that image?

It says "Windows XP Product Activation"... I've read the whole article and it does not mention the Pro version <snip>
    XP pro does not have activation cos its for business use, therefore businesses will not want to activate every single copy they install...
    look at this, can't you read?, (the url was a bit obvious as well.)

Look for ****s sake thats the XP EVALUATION. A *Full* XP Pro version will not have product activation!

got it, jcdux?

Everyone else, sorry, this argument has gone on long enough... But XP Pro full version does not have product activation!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

so wtf did my copy of XP Pro need to be activated??
    it's not an evaluation copy.

Are you sure its not an evaluation? Some eval. copies were distributed without being labelled as such... a friend i know got a copy and it turned out to be an eval.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

First of, I'd like to say congrats to jcdux for his dedication to this post

Rewandythal.. no need to swear....

I do agree that the argument has gone on waaay too long....

in case anyone's interested on how XP's product activation works,
    Read this
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

ISA Devices - Supported in Home but not in Pro.

NTFS - Is not mandatory to use. Home and Pro give the option of FAT or NTFS format.

Win 2K Drivers - Have worked for evey piece of hardware that XP didn't like.

Stability - I tried to hot-swap RAM and a NIC card thats the only blue screen I've gotten. (note: tried to do this to get it to crash, it worked)

I beg to differ ...I run a 3com Etherlink III isa card fine on both Pro and Home editions of XP.

Originally posted by Negative

I don't know about the Pro Version, but you don't have to switch to ntfs in the Home Version. You can choose between Fat32 and ntfs
    I thought that the point of XP was a switch from the unstable Fat32 to the more stable ntfs. I was wondering if anyone running XP with fat32 has experienced any problems similar to those of previous windows versions?
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

All this could be ovoided if we all used LINUX, Linux has no product activation malarke, it is free. Linux does not need a top of the range PC to run, it will even run without a hard drive (booting from floppy). And best of all ..... NO BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!

Windows does not have enough free memory to run this program.

I will never intentionally abuse this board. However, when adding AntiPoints please be a man/woman and leave your name so we can discuss why you did so. I shall also leave my name on all points i send. Thankyou.

I used XP for about a week with FAT32 on one hard drive (it previously had 98 on, and i was transferring data from it to the NTFS drive XP is installed on... and for that week it had no problems!!!

Not exactly a long time, but...

Also, I've run Win2K with FAT32 for months no problem (though I've run it for the best part of a year on NTFS with no problem!)

And I agree with the post about linux... If I didn;'t have to maintain compatibility with my friends who use MS Office, and if I didn't play computer games that need Windows, I'd have moved to Linux completely... alas I need to use Windows, even if it is just to play Unreal Tournament! So i have a few computers, with different OS's on each, that way I get the best of all worlds!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)