Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Advice

Shmoo

Exclamation WinXP Advice

I'm considering updating to XP over ME, but before I do. I would like to know what the people who already have XP think about it? Stuff like its advantages, disadvantages, why you hate it, why you like it. That sort of thing, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Um, I hate to say it, but....

I reccomend that you upgrade to XP, only because you are using ME.

ME sucks worse than any other MS OS I have ever seen. I know 4 people that are using it, and everytday they have a new complaint about it for me(and trust me, I never ever reccomended it to them).

If you possibly can, find a copy of Win98 or Win2K pro. or, take a chance and try out linux. I dont know if there are any specific applicationss which are tying you to windows, but with a little bit of effort, most obstacles of those types can be over come.

(having said all that, I know nothing specifically about XP from a personal standpoint. I just know what I have been reading about it for the past several months.) All sources seem to agree, it kicks the ass of ME

IchNiSan

Exclamation

Using Me..
    **** its the worst Os i have ever seen...
    its f***ing slow.....u can upgrade to XP.This one form microsoft is a cool OS .its built on NT technology.Its also stable and more"secure".SO do an upgrade......
    but u should have the drivers for xp(win2k) on ur motherboard.

Here is a list

Bad:

Price(in U.S.):

$99 upgrade home version
    $199 full home version

$199 upgrade pro version
    $299 full pro version

Compatibilty:

some software wont work
    new drivers needed for some hardware devices
    conversion of fat32 over to ntfs
    limited msdos program compatibility

Support:

no support for java
    isa bus devices not supported under pro version

hardware resources needed:

300 mhz Pentium II
    128 mb ram
    2 gb hard drive space

other:

activation in home version
    full raw socket support in home version

Good:

Stability

This seems to be what everyone praises microsoft over, and is the only thing that previous versions of windows didnt offer that the new XP has. If microsoft were to give the upgrade away to current windows 98 and windows Me users as an apology for an unstable OS, then I would go through the rest of the hassle to use XP. Feel free to respond to this at ThePreacher@****microsoft.com.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Banned
    Originally posted by The Preacher
    conversion of fat32 over to ntfs
    I don't know about the Pro Version, but you don't have to switch to ntfs in the Home Version. You can choose between Fat32 and ntfs

I'd suggest win2k over XP, more support & drivers,
    it's got comparible stability (but hey, anythings more stable than ME) to XP.
    Win2k doesn't have the activation crap and is probably cheaper (or easier to get for free)
    But... if you want a real OS, get a *nix distro!

PS. Both XP home & pro use activation and both should support FAT32 or NTFS.

XP Pro does NOT use product activation... I have XP Pro and It's the most stable NT based Windows I've ever used. 2K is almost as stable, but I'd still recommend upgrading to XP... It's the best MS operating System based on NT that exists... Windows 98SE is another good option, and has more support & compatibility, but nothing wrong with XP, as long as your computer's up to it.

However, unless there is something specifically tying you to a Windows platform, I suggest trying Linux.

By the way - XP pro does support FAT32 AND NTFS but NTFS makes it more stable & secure (cos XP is based on NT anyway)
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Originally posted by Rewandythal
    XP Pro does NOT use product activation... I have XP Pro and It's the most stable NT based Windows I've ever used. 2K is almost as stable, but I'd still recommend upgrading to XP... It's the best MS operating System based on NT that exists... Windows 98SE is another good option, and has more support & compatibility, but nothing wrong with XP, as long as your computer's up to it.

However, unless there is something specifically tying you to a Windows platform, I suggest trying Linux.

By the way - XP pro does support FAT32 AND NTFS but NTFS makes it more stable & secure (cos XP is based on NT anyway)
    XP Pro does have product activation!
    if yours doesn't it's because of..
    1. you have an OEM cut
    2. you have a bootlegged copy
    3. your machine was activated before you got it
    4. you've bypassed the activation

Business's are staying with Win2k for the time being, you'll get more out of learning win2k before XP (any fool can run XP), win2k is more serious & business orientated.

I agree with Rewandythal. Linux (in my opinion) is much better than windows. To see for yourself go to say .... www.linux-mandrake.com (This is just one of the distros of linux, there is many more however the majority of people I talk to recomend it for first time users of linux) also try looking for SuSE, and RedHat.

Windows does not have enough free memory to run this program.

I will never intentionally abuse this board. However, when adding AntiPoints please be a man/woman and leave your name so we can discuss why you did so. I shall also leave my name on all points i send. Thankyou.

Talking

I do have an OEM copy [and a bootleg copy] so i am guilty on 2 counts there, my XP Pro therefore doesn't have product activation, but i'm sure everyone else I've asked who has XP pro didn't have to activate either... even after it'd been running for over a month.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net