Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Advice

For reference, If we've tempted you to try Linux:

Mandrake: www.linux-mandrake.com
    RedHat: www.redhat.com
    SuSE: www.suse.com
    Debian: www.debian.com

There's loads more out there, including several distros that are targetted for specific functions: firewall, router etc. and distros that fit on a single floppy disk so you can take them round with you to repair broken Windows [and Linux, but hey - Linux never breaks!!]
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

I have XP Pro (no I didn't buy it) and it needed activation.

Well, sorry if others had different experiences with XP, but mine didn't need activation, and has worked without needing reinstalling for almost 3 months now... which is a record for me... I usually **** my computer up every month by trying to get it to do something its incapable of doing (in windows anyway). But XP has allowed me to recover from everything i throw at it!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

jcdux....
    XP Pro does not have product activation.....
    Rewandythal is correct... XP Pro uses the good old serial method for its anti-piracy protection.... when installing XP Pro you are asked to enter a .. *ponders*.. a site license key, or something like that....
    I agree with you on the business aspect.. most business's will stay with 2K for a while.. they want functionality, not prettyality.. <yup.. I made up a new word >

Preacher... XP offers the best compatibility I've seen so far.. I have run all windows 2000 versions, where they introduced the whole backwards application compatibility in its most useable form.. XP is miles above 2K in its aspect, although it does fail in aspects which 2K does not, as Microsoft is trying to shove 98 out the door after 95....

XP has no default install for Java.. it still supports it, you just have to install it... all my friends program in Java, and they use my boxes.. they have not had one problem with Java running on an XP box to date....

You said
    "isa bus devices not supported under pro version"
    I haven't seen this, but I have heard it, and I'm quite annoyed about it... so many isa card.. but I can't use them...

Shmoo... get off of WinME... its baaaaad... either 2K or XP... if your wanting to be able to have people help you easily.. go 2K...
    If your prepared to have a bit of strife getting assistance, XP would be the way to go.. it may be NT based, but its got a whole new field of discovery to be dealt with.....

- Matty
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

XP pro does have product activation!!
    see this from micro$hite...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...activation.asp

J.

Yeh?
    It mentions retail versions of XP.
    I didn't find a single mention of XP PROFESSIONAL
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

see the attached.

J.

Here we go again

ISA Devices - Supported in Home but not in Pro.

NTFS - Is not mandatory to use. Home and Pro give the option of FAT or NTFS format.

Win 2K Drivers - Have worked for evey piece of hardware that XP didn't like.

Stability - I tried to hot-swap RAM and a NIC card thats the only blue screen I've gotten. (note: tried to do this to get it to crash, it worked)

XP does not support a lot of programs though, but thankfully a lot of companies are starting to patch their products. A lot of people don't realise that XP doesn't have to support anything it doesn't want to, it's an OS, it makes your computer run, if you don't like it because it won't support your hadware/software use another. Personally I have had only a one problem with it, my Intel Camera freezes my mouse and the camera capture (go figure a Intel product not liking Windows). As far as networking goes it has support for Unix print services and such. I was setting Pro up as a server and plugged the network cable into a hub and it found all of the other computers that were plugged into the hub as well and assigned them IP's and set them active on the network making my job a whole lot easier. Anyway that's my 2 cents.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Yes, jcdux, what am i supposed to be looking at in that image?

It says "Windows XP Product Activation"... I've read the whole article and it does not mention the Pro version (Pro stands for Professional, in case you didn't know that!) That arcticle refers to the Home edition.

XP pro does not have activation cos its for business use, therefore businesses will not want to activate every single copy they install...

Therefore, home users of XP Pro get away wirhout activating it!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

Shmoo
    Well thanks to everyone who decided to help me out and thanks to that unamed mother****er who decided to give me a negative AO point.

Their have been two other questions that have been on my mind.

1. WinXP has a firewall? Is it any good?

2. I heard a rumor where you have to pay a fee every year to keep WinXP activated?

~Shmoo