Thread: X font server

X font server

After my machine running linux mandrake 8.0 unexpectedly lost power, it now locks up while booting, during a process it describes as "Loading X font server"

Any suggestions on how this can be resolved?

Hmm...

Try booting to the equivalent of windows safe mode (you used to do this by typing linux -s or linux -1 at the LILO prompt, but i cant remember which it is!) that gets you into single user mode (no X server loads) then you can edit your startup files (inittables, all the stuff for each runlevel etc) and see what's causing the problem... If you have to, reinstall X from the single user mode... That should solve the problem!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Sorry, that was assuming you use LILO. I use Mandrake 7.1 and there's also the GRUB bootloader, which it puts on by default... i think on that theres an option to get a command line rather than select the boot option from the menu it puts up

When you get to the command line, issue the command just as if it was LILO:

linux -s
    or

linux -1
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Thanks for the help, the problem however, is that it installed a graphical version of lilo, and it's only got one listed option(standard boot). Is there a key to get to a lilo prompt?

I'm thinking I'm just going to install an older version anyway, I liked how it used to display everything it was doing while it booted etc., now with 8.0 it's got a splash window and I feel like I'm using windows again.

Originally posted by shkuey
    Thanks for the help, the problem however, is that it installed a graphical version of lilo, and it's only got one listed option(standard boot). Is there a key to get to a lilo prompt?

My RH 7.1 box lets me use the CTRL+X Combo (IIRC) to get the text lilo boot prompt.

I'd just boot to single user mode and reinstall xfs overtop of itself.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Thanks, I got it working again.

Banned

hehe

good for u
    sorry im just getting my 100 posts