Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram or power suply

Question Ram or power suply

Fellow antionlyners,

I need help. I've a AMD Tbird 800MHz with 256Mb Ram PC133, Lately, all kinds of things have been happening:

1 - The power suply fan humms until it heats up, then the noise is gone.

2 - All kinds off fatal exceptions and errors happend, on any program, in any circumstancies, such as:

IE 5.5 crashes, Word2000 crashes, games crash, instalation programs crash.

The PC shuts down by himself suddenly and with no warning, and simply reboots.

Windows2000 sais he lost a couple of files such as configuration files and now its all messed up.

I wonder if anyone could help me on what to do.

Thanks

pipas_

I'm guessing that it's the power supply, a quick initial test would be from the BIOS (before window$ starts up), try pressing the del key, f2 (or whatever it tells you to enter set-up), see if the power supply output is listed and if so, check the outputs to see if they're stable. It may also be worth checking to see if your power supply is powerful enough for your set-up, if you have multiple hard disks & CD's etc, the drain on your supply might be too great, if thats the case, try disconnecting some of the bits to see if you some stability back.
    Lastly (but not least), check to see if there are any BIOS upgrades available for your MOBO, if there are, flash the BIOS and see if that helps.

Originally posted by jcdux
    I'm guessing that it's the power supply, a quick initial test would be from the BIOS (before window$ starts up), try pressing the del key, f2 (or whatever it tells you to enter set-up), see if the power supply output is listed and if so, check the outputs to see if they're stable. It may also be worth checking to see if your power supply is powerful enough for your set-up, if you have multiple hard disks & CD's etc, the drain on your supply might be too great, if thats the case, try disconnecting some of the bits to see if you some stability back.
    Lastly (but not least), check to see if there are any BIOS upgrades available for your MOBO, if there are, flash the BIOS and see if that helps.
    yeah it looks like a power supply, is it on the right settings, i believe that amd needs a special type of power supply above the normal one used before, check that your fan on the supply is working and the power output thats stated in your bios. then have fun reinstallin your os
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.

Thumbs up power is good, mem is being tested

Well, the power supply is aok, at least I think it is, no oscilations, fan speed on 4300 basis, and I have no idea what my AMD Tbird should use, maybe amd.com can tell me no?

Meanwhile I'll test the memory and maybe try something else, like Linux or even FreeDos or... I donno. I'm really pissed off with this, any help will be wellcome, specially the kind that doesn't cost money, meaning I'd like to be sure before buying a new power unit or more mem :\

Thank you all

Pipas_

If at first you do succeed try not to look ustonished.
    pipas_

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Dumb question but what about the internal CPU fan(s)? Those kinds of errors are usually that. As for the noise, that's not uncommon for cheap power supplies. When they reach a certain temp the heat expands the metal. Try turning the machine on with the case off.

Do you have any slots (PCI/ISA) that have openings in the back? That could cause problems with air flow and result in a higher temp.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Dou you have an Asus board? if so you might want to try their monitoring utility "Asus PC-Probe" to see if voltage or temperature changes while working... As the others said, it might just act up under load... Also check that fans and heatsinks are well seated... Post you system specs... You might want to check you're voltage setups (in bios or jumpers depending on mobos) to make sure it's appropriate for you're cpu...

Ammo

Personal experience with hardware:
    While building my OpenBSD box, using hardware I had laying around, and only new RAM, compiling a new kernel would make the box freeze. No errors, no nothing! I spent bout a week searching for software issues, and then that weekend determined it must had been hardware related... Changed ram: didn't freeze at the same point but still did. Plugged the hd in another box and it compiled fine... So only thing left I thought was the mobo, so changed it for a slightly older board I had and it worked... I was glad it now worked but somewhat sad cuz that board was P5 166mhz max, and I had a p5 233 cpu... Then, I few minutes later my father was looking at the *bugged* mobo and checked out the jumpers for cpu voltage... turnes out we had forgotten to adjust them from the previous cpu... they were still set for a k6-166... DUH!!! Switch everyting back on that mobo with correct voltage and it worked fine... ARGH!!
    // This slice of life brought to you by Ammo...

I would recommend changing out thepower supply. As for the computer restarting by itself you might want to check under the mother board and mae sure that there are no standoffs still left that would touch the board. I found that out the hard way and it killed my pci slots. You could check memory. If it was the memory it should have not worked on the startup. And the computer wont boot if your memory is bad.
    Hope that helped.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Talking must be the power indeed

Well, I believe it must be the power supply, I just ran a memory test for about 2 hours and the memory stood firm
    So, I guess it must be the power supply.

By the way, can someone tell me what the correct power settings would be for a AMD Thunderbird 800 MHz, or where I can find this settings, I've tries AMD.com, but the info there is quite a mess for my poor knowlidge.

Yes, I am no hacker, just a user with a eager desire to have some answers.

By the way, if you need some English to Portuguese translations I would be glad to help, after all, that could be the only way to help you due to my sparce knowlidge.

Thank you all

pipas_
    pipas_

Its your power supply or could be a short on your mother board or a virus that ****ed your computer up one or the other but i suggest you have it looked at

Its your power supply or could be a short on your mother board or a virus that opened a port for someone and messed your computer up I suggest you have it looked at