Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux

Gnome and KDE are Desktop Managers. They require a Window Manager to display windows. Window Managers do not require a Desktop Manager to run, however. If you want to run a Window Manager by itself,. I suggest IceWM (as it has the ability to look like a Desktop Manger), Sawfish, or Enlightenment. WindowMaker is pretty good, too. Desktop Managers... I prefer Gnome over KDE, but it's really a matter of preference. If you choose Gnome, use Sawfish instead of Enlightenment. It was designed with Gnome integration in mind. Hope this helps.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

vs.

What the difference between a desktop manager and a window manager?

Thanks, and keep the replies coming!
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

//
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The big 3 are KDE, GNOME, and FVWM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was under the impression that gnome wasn't really a window manager, moreover a framework that holds everything together, and you use different windowmanagers, like sawmill, enlightenment, icewm on top of gnome (or on top of the kde base for that matter) - is this not the case? //

I think Kezil was simplly asking which are the most common GUI desktop environments found in the typical Linux Distro. Which would probably be KDE, GNOME, and FVWM.

quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Additional question:
    what are the different GUIs (mainly the one(s) that come with redhat, but others also) and Good points/Bad points of each?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Reply:

quote:
    The big 3 are KDE, GNOME, and FVWM.
    KDE and GNOME seems to be the ones that most people really like. It may even be a good idea to install both and try them out. The reasons people like each one are usually pretty specific so it would not be fair for me to comment on strengths and weaknesses of each.

FVWM is not generaly one that many people like.

Does it say `Window Manager' anywhere in either of those posts?

I agree that GNOME is not a Window Manager, but then again I never claimed that it was. I would appreciate it if you take a little more care to read what was said before commenting on another of my posts.